Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting to softtouch problems on a 599cc

Hi anyone,

I am currently experimenting with a conversion via info on the EVILUTION pages.

I tried soldering two wires to the SE unit circuit board....nothing. So I bought a second hand SE unit from Chequred flag. The system does not see it. I have been told on good authrity that a 599cc pure does not accept TAN codes. So; how do I get the system to see it?

I know that you can buy a 599cc softtouch car so there must be a difference.

Any Ideas anyone?

Re: Converting to softtouch problems on a 599cc

I too have been thinking about it with Tiny and came to a conclusion.
    Although the 600cc smart didn't have a SAM unit so couldn't be TAN'd what I forgot was the SE drive isn't even attached to the SAM, it goes to the ECU.
    Therefore smart should be able to connect to the ECU and turn on the auto.

SHOULD be able to but at what point do you stop throwing money at my silly ideas LOL.

Comment

the thing is, I have already tried soldering a wire and did nothing , so I have bought and fitted a replacement SE unit from a Softtouch car, so I am pretty much committed now to going all the way with this one.

All I can ask now is does anyone know where I can get a TAN code cheaper than at my local multi million quid Mercedes garage in Liverpool.....honestly, its massive and so are thier charges............(before anyone writes in, Yes I know that TAN codes have to be installed by a Main dealer but some garages are cheaper than others)

Comment

Going by Evil's post, that it's not a TAN code & is in the ECU software. Could maybe any of the indie garages do it with there STAR machine?:goodlk:

Comment

It's not an option that I have seen on any win-star machine. I believe it's probably a selectable item within Star itself much like outside temperature, rev counter etc.

Comment

Would one of the re-map writers be able to access this with the laptop?
            Or is it a part of the software out of reach to them.

Comment

According to the service manual you do indeed need a TAN-code for this.
              Any reason why you guys think that TAN's are only related to the SAM ?
              Bjorn

Comment

600 smarts didnt have SAMs, and dont take TANs, 700s do..

Comment

Originally posted by GaryTravers View Post
                  -------, and dont take TANs, 700s do..
                  Says who ?
                  Are you saying that the manual is incorrect ?
                  :silvertri Bjorn

Comment

I think the confusion is that TAN codes only really surfaced after the release of the 700 so I guess they got lumbered together.
                    I have always automatically assumed. that TAN codes go to the SAM unit but I suppose that could be wrong

Comment

manual? cant say i've read it...

i was just thinking the 600s dont as with certain things there are necessary workarounds..

paddles without TAN, need the little circuit box under the gear stick..

CC without TAN, need the MDC (or similar) circuit board

im just thinking that way as whenever people speak of these things for 600s, they always get told they cant take TAN codes, they have to do the workarounds..

Comment

Im confused as to why anyone would want to retrofit softtouch to the 599cc?? It really isnt worth the hassle fitting it in my opinion. Its far too slow to work out what gear it should be in, holds gears far too long, wont let you hold a decent gear at lower revs and it also likes to hesitate on the change to fifth (unnecessary with a remap) from sixth on a motorway which leaves you in the outside lane dithering.

I retrofitted it on mine as it matched the ECU/ seemed like I may as well, honestly - I cant think when I've used it for more than a minute before overriding it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X