Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVLA paying to much Road Fund ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DVLA paying to much Road Fund ???

    I purchased my first Smart Car just before Christmas, I am tickled pink with it oh! It is pink! Anyway before driving my Smart off into the sunset I had to tax it ... 110 later I was horrified because I knew it was incorrect ... I took DVLA on and have just got 80 refunded.

    I chatted with a neighbor who also owns a Smart and she's being charged 110 too.

    Contact me if you think your paying too much out!

  • #2
    Which model/year are you talking about?

    If you are talking about the older model of the Smart (2001 - 2003ish when the tax rates changed), then ones equipped with Softtouch (the fully automatic option) appears to attract the 110 band because of the emissions on the V5.

    Comment


    • #3
      So can the type of wheels you have fitted. It's been a long time since I last checked, but from what I can remember on the 698cc EU4 petrol, Softip models were 113g/km and Softouch models were 118g/km.

      However, my 2005 fortwo had the wider Strikeline wheels factory fitted. Add Softouch and that brings the CO2 figure to 121g/km, just 1g over the threshold between tax bands meaning I've always paid the higher rate. Brabus models are a few more grams higher than this, so pay the higher VED rate too.

      Of course, had my vehicle been assembled with standard narrow wheels and swapped at the dealership, I would be paying the much lower rate as the CO2 figure is fixed for life and based on what specification the vehicle was assembled with.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BanksyUK View Post
        I purchased my first Smart Car just before Christmas, I am tickled pink with it oh! It is pink! Anyway before driving my Smart off into the sunset I had to tax it ... 110 later I was horrified because I knew it was incorrect ... I took DVLA on and have just got 80 refunded.

        I chatted with a neighbor who also owns a Smart and she's being charged 110 too.

        Contact me if you think your paying too much out!

        you clearly didnt do your research properly and assumed that ALL Smarts are 30 to tax.

        cars registered before 2001, you payed according to engine size, up to 1600cc you payed 1 rate and over 1600cc you payed a higher rate

        car registered after 2001, you payed according to the CO2 the car emitted, and thats when the options fitted to the car from factory came in to play. a car fitted with A/C payed more as the engine has to work harder, therefore resulting in higher emissions, same with wheel size and width. if it has bigger/wider wheels the engine has to work harder to get going again resulting in higher emissions. same goes for the auto option. the CO2 emissions what the car emits will be on the V5 and depending on what band it falls within is what you pay.

        you may have got an 80 refund from the DVLA... BUT next year you may get a reminder saying you have to pay 110... and if the DVLA find out you will own them.

        Comment


        • BanksyUK
          BanksyUK commented
          Editing a comment
          I contacted Mercedes-Benz Cars UK and made my enquiry about the Co2 shown on my Registration document ... I received a certificate from them which I forwarded to DVLA ... The covering letter from MBCUK stated that the registration document was in incorrect ... I have managed to contact all the previous owners and have encouraged them all to claim a refund.

          If in any doubt contact Mercedes-Benz Cars UK.

          I WILL POST ALL THE DETAILS OF MY CAR SHORTLY

      • #5
        I pay nothing in road tax. 2002 Smart 450.

        Comment


        • #6
          Originally posted by tolsen View Post
          I pay nothing in road tax. 2002 Smart 450.

          are you disabled? or is it a diesel?

          and one thing sprung to mind this morning whilst i was walking to work... how old is your car? what is it e.g. a roadster, a fortwo? what model is it?

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by lalli_d1 View Post


            are you disabled? or is it a diesel?

            and one thing sprung to mind this morning whilst i was walking to work... how old is your car? what is it e.g. a roadster, a fortwo? what model is it?
            Huh, he says how old it is, and what model it is

            Comment


            • lalli_d1
              lalli_d1 commented
              Editing a comment
              the first part was for tolsen, which he has replied to AND if you look at the time when tolsen posted and when i posted after, i couldn't have possible foreseen the future...


              the 2nd part was for the OP... he hasnt mentioned what model it is, how old it is...
              Last edited by lalli_d1; 03-03-16, 08:43 PM.

          • #8
            Log book confuses matters a lot. No mention of Smart or fortwo. It says it is an MCC.
            And, not disabled yet, knock wood.

            Comment


            • #9
              Tax disc states fuel, see Class DC.

              Comment


              • #10
                Originally posted by BanksyUK View Post
                I contacted Mercedes-Benz Cars UK and made my enquiry about the Co2 shown on my Registration document ... I received a certificate from them which I forwarded to DVLA ... The covering letter from MBCUK stated that the registration document was in incorrect ... I have managed to contact all the previous owners and have encouraged them all to claim a refund.

                If in any doubt contact Mercedes-Benz Cars UK.

                I WILL POST ALL THE DETAILS OF MY CAR SHORTLY
                you contacted MB UK and they said what was on your V5 was incorrect but did you give them your chassis number? or your registration? or just the engine size and year?

                you still haven't told us which Smart car it is. you have a 600cc 450, a 700cc 450, a diesel 450, a 1.0 451, 1.0 turbo 451, a diesel 451, and the new fortwo with a 900 turbo or a 1.0 n/a, and thats not to mention the roadster, forfour mk1 (petrol and diesel) and the forfour mk2

                and why didn't you just post all the details when you commented on my reply?

                Comment

                Ad Widget

                Collapse
                Working...
                X