No announcement yet.

Hello all smart people

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and one more thing, if it's good advice at the time then why don't people listen. Bad advice isn't good so I tend not to dish it out but who does......

Comment

I'll give you a wee giggle. My pal Davy has a ride on mower and said we should book a track day at Knockhill for a laugh, aye we need bigger engines for that I told him.

Comment

Son, I do hope you read my reply to your post on page 2? I see my other posts are on page 3 but cannot access page 2 again. Your advice was well appreciated and has done me the world of good since Avrils death. I wrote a lengthy post but doubt you'll be able to access it as I cannot either. Mrs Strachan is a memeber of a ladies club in Alva and I imagine word will spread pretty quickly, watch this space. I purchased a second hand mower, just needs a bit of TLC, but nothing I can't maintain.
        Hoping it's still a decent day with you up north today and you aren't on your knees watching that grass....

All the best for now.

Angus

Comment

This forum is a nightmare to navigate, but I did see your post on page#2. Inclined to agree but suspect it's for the neighbours that shiny things are bought and that it isn't more cash than sense they have but more credit. I don't have much - but I don't have debt. Debt free may transpire to be the greatest freedom of all! It is quite shocking what is discarded that can be revived with a touch of TLC.
          You're going to be the go-to-guy for a tidy garden in your area. Good on you. I like tasks that there is an immediate and obvious benefit from doing. Gardening for me though falls into chore category as it needs re-doing so soon. Good for keeping you busy though! So gardening a bit of a chore for me, but for a hobby I draw (and sometimes paint) and as gardening is a summer affair, more drawing is done in winter. Which is just a lead in to what are you going to do when the grass stops growing?!
          I'd recommend drawing (pencil or pen) to anyone. Can't draw? How do you know without trying? What will I draw? Whatever's in front of you (mountain outdoors or salt cellar on you kitchen table - it doesn't matter). What will I draw on? Anything - an envelope will do. What with? Nowt wrong with the humble Biro. Other hobbies are available though!
          Starting to cloud over here. Off to the village for a paper and some shopping. Thankfully, the grass is fine for another week - so I get to draw this afternoon (from a photograph I took years back of the Lewis ferry moving in the harbour with hills in the background). Water and landscape/foliage are new challenges for me. Drawing foliage is like drawing a thousand little cabbages. How do I find enjoyment in this? How do I even recommend it to others?!!!

Comment

Ah, so you draw, my wife was a great one for drawing and spent many years as an art therapist at the local Community centre. She swore that it helped those with mild/moderate depression and also those with acute mental health issues. Encouraging people to express themselves through art was extremely good for mind and soul she'd say. Many of her friends had suffered also from depression and they said she was a god send. Have a great afternoon with your pencil, Biro or brush son and looking forward to seeing some if you can post any.

Angus

Comment

Avril (if I may use her name) was spot on.

Comment

Well Angus, good to hear you are getting out and about. I you happen to pass by Aberdeen on the way up North, the kettle will be on here tae
                I bought Marcie from a Lady in Glamis whos husband had passed away, they used to tow it behind a motorhome.

Comment

That's a kind gesture dolphinfriendly, most kind indeed, thank you.

Comment

Progress on the drawing from Saturday? It's been terrible weather down here and I expect much the same up North. Not much in the way of grass cutting so have opened up a jigsaw and have sat whiling away the hours with that. I expect it's a taste of what to do in winter. Seems like it's a never ending one at the moment.

Comment

It's been hosing it down up here for days. If the weather follows last year's pattern though - we are a fortnight away from a three week heat wave. Hmmm...
                      Drawing was sort of OK (but for cabbage trees) but adding a bit of colour didn't go so well. Back to the drawing board (ho ho) on Saturday and going to try getting down an ink wash for the scenic part first then draw on top of that. It's all trial and error. Part of the joy is not quite knowing how the finished piece will be. Your good lady was spot on about the therapeutic benefits - even though it does sometime cause a great deal of frustration.
                      My father was one for jigsaws. There'd often be one lying started that we could all chip in on. Ditto cryptic crosswords - though I out of my siblings was the only one who showed any interest, Still a hobby - the one in a Saturday Guardian doesn't have its solutions published until 9 days later so plenty time to get stuck in. Between drawing and cryptics, you pretty well have my Saturday afternoons sussed!

Comment

Avril was pretty spot on with many things. I do miss her about the place and like all couples we had our squabbles but were a team and the place is sadly very quiet
                        without her. However I have many great friends who pop in and out, my neighbour and friend Donald was round this morning and it was him who suggested a jigsaw, good idea I thought.
                        Try not to get too frustrated with your painting/drawing. Relax and just let it flow is what Avril would say, never a truer word said in all things, be patient and all will work itself out.
                        Yes it's been gye driech here for days, I'm thinking to purchase some flippers.

Comment

Drawing and painting is an antidote to the other frustrations! Principle one right now is trying to buy another fortwo for a project that will see a Yamaha R1 (160hp) engine transplanted into it. I already have the engine and there is a car nearby that's been sitting for a few months doing nothing. But its owner had his premises burgled and ransacked and the key for the smart is currently lost. No progress until it appears. I'd prefer to have the car here and be working on it. All that lessens that frustration is I'd probably not get anything done for the rain. You know I'm telling the truth here because I couldn't make this stuff up!
                          Again, Avril was right. Just knowing I'm going to be drawing starts me toward the appropriate (relaxed) mood. She never persuaded you to try it? You could draw your finished jigsaw (wavy cut lines optional).
                          Driech - now there's word that just had to be made for Scotland in Scotland. Driech indeed!

Comment

Not quite so driech today!!
                            Drawing, me, not really. My creativity lies mostly in the garage or shed, I enjoy a bit of woodwork etc, nothing ornate, just a few bowls etc and one or two long stemmed goblets. I purchased myself a lathe about 20years ago now. My father was a joiner/carpenter and as a small boy I enjoyed nothing more than standing watching him make wonderful pieces, he made fiddles and all sorts, the smell of wood and varnish nothing beats it.
                            So a project awaits your hands. I do hope the owners keys appear soon and you can get a crack on with it. Nothing worse than having an idea and it's out of reach, very frustrating!
                            A few of the lads and myself are heading up to Crieff this afternoon, lunch at the Barley Bree, thank goodness it's dry out there for the trip.

You're day I hope is good also.

Angus

Comment

Heatwave on its way! Saw the sun this morning and it took a moment or two for me to figure out what it was. Welcome is what it is.
                              You are never short of a hobby with wood working skills and a lathe. I have a joiner friend I've known since (my) childhood and the things he has done with wood have amazed me over the years. He didn't manage musical instruments though in his retirement he has taken to making decorative sculptures from bits of drift wood. The yacht he made was something else. I've worked in (steel) fabrication shops and woodworking shops and I'd sooner be around wood any day all day. Pity I can't work with the damned stuff!
                              I need a plan B to get the fortwo I'm after. Maybe offer him 2/3rds of price and the final 1/3rd when he finds the key. It is a mere 15 miles away. Plenty other suitable cars dotted around the UK but you know the aggro of moving things around. Being further north just exacerbates that.
                              Lunching in Crieff then. Lucky man - enjoy!

Comment

I think the heatwave has waved goodbye so to speak, still it was a beautiful day for our trip up to Creiff yesterday afternoon. Excellent meal and I highly recommend going if you are down in that neck of the woods one day.
                                I'd certainly try a with your offer, nothing ventured nothing gained. Is it not possible to get in touch with MB and get a spare?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X