No announcement yet.

New Smart Fortwo driven and reviewed !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Smart Fortwo driven and reviewed !

Since I had to drop the LD CDi in for another service, blame the weekly 700+ mile journeys, I thought I'd take the opportunity to get a much closer look at the new Smart 45????
    So first impressions ? In the flesh it looks basically like a chunky version of the 451 which is no bad thing

This one in the showroom rhd is a Prime model, the models are Prime, Passion and Poxy, sorry I mean Proxy

Bonnet catches are much easier to open................................by anyone

The bonnet pulls off in much the same way as the 451 but there aren't any mounting points, it just has rubber feet and just hangs down on it's straps

The boot glass now has a handle

And a single weird handle that works OK to release the tailgate :

OK now the inside, there are currently only three colour choices, Black leather and white as this one, black with bright orange seats and white seats with bright blue trim

Management said she thought it looked like a washing machine inside

The Tacho is really hard to read when driving and the little clock impossible all of the time ( this is a close up picture)

But there is one amazing new feature ????? A proper sun visor that swivels to the side window

Standard lights are not LED

LED lights at extra cost :

OK here is my Left Hand Drive German registered 1.0 Turbo Petrol 5 speed manual with something called a clutch pedal

Now please remove all sharp objects from near reach, then meditate for a moment or two and then very slowly focus on the next picture of the white and blue interior

OK you guessed I'm not a fan

I'm sure it's very trendy but it's about as practical as a chocolate fire guard

OK so how does it drive ???? I'm directly comparing it to the loan MHD petrol driven back to back and left hand drive doesn't make any difference to me, I have two left hand drive cars myself

The engine is a little quieter, the clutch is fairly light with a good biting point ( I never stalled it in town ) and the 5 speed box is quite snickerty, so far so good........
    The ride is a big improvement on the 451, much less crashing and bouncing over the many large pot holes, with less road noise
    The brakes seemed the same, still with drums at the back.
    The stalks and controls are also of better quality, as is the multi function steering wheel, but I wasn't impressed with the HVAC controls, no doubt you'd get used to which button does what, but it's a truimph of style over function
    The engine is a lot stronger than the MHD and hustles along at motorway speeds fine, it wasn't very windy this morning and I couldn't find any lorries to try out the standard cross wind assist feature ????????????
    It likes to rev but I suspect doing that will destroy the fuel economy

Now the worst feature for me, due to the mileage I do, I need to check the oil weekly and in the 451 is a bit of pain, with me having part of an old broom handle to hold the engine flap up !
    So I was hoping that they may have improved the design because it doesn't have an electronic oil gauge
    Well I couldn't have been more wrong, it now has six fixings screws COUNT THEM

Each one with a very LO..............................NG thread

I have the new price and options list, later I'll go through it and give you some ideas of cost, auto will be +£995
    Last edited by longdistancecdi; 24-01-15, 06:14 PM. Reason: Because of my Dsylexia KO ?

ell the only revelation is on the Technical Data page that says both engine options, the 999cc non turbo 71bhp & the 898cc turbo 90bhp, both have automatic stop/start
    Lets hope that it's also a Renault system and nothing like the Smart MHD system

All models get a multi function steering wheel, power steering, climate control, cruise control and a tyre pressure monitoring system.

The cheapest model is a non turbo Passion at £11,070 on the road and the dearest a turbo Proxy Premium Plus £13,655 or £13,765 for the Edition 1 model.

Not forgetting that the 6 speed DSG auto is plus £995

Oh and metallic paint is £295, matt £395 and £200 to change the tridion safety cell colour.

Heated seats £195, lane keeping assist £295, I thought that the steering wheel did that anyway

Warranty is 3 years unlimited and 12,500 mile service intervals, which isn't great when compared to other new cars

Comment

Lets hope that it's also a Renault system and nothing like the Smart MHD system
      Worringly, the 451 MHD was a Valeo developed system and Renault, like all French manufacturers, often use Valeo as much of their original equipment. Hopefully, they've improved it over the last 8 years.

I'm not a fan of the interior styling either, or the fact that some of trim pieces have been raided from Dacia parts bin.

Looking at those prices, I wouild expect LED lighting to be standard to be honest.

Comment

I'm struggling to believe what I've seen on this thread. White interior parts that look as though plundered from a fridge. Contrasts that are extreme and hideous (the white/blue combination belongs to 1990s jetski - and should have been left there) when I expected the interiors to be the cars' redeeming feature with well chosen complimentary colours really setting them off. Off? Rancid more like.
        The swing-like-a-sh!thouse-door-in-a-gale bonnet may win the contest with said sh!thouse but the surrounding bodywork will surely be the biggest loser on a windy day.
        Six loseable screws for the engine hatch. Genius, just genius...

Comment

Well I may be alone in saying this... I like it.
          Actually I *really* like the interior - the white/blue combo especially. Looks modern & fresh. And funky - almost a return to the 450 days - not in so far of the design, but the willingness to be bold & different.

6 screws for the engine cover - well... err.... if the engine is a modern & reliable one (unlike the 450 days) then oil levels shouldn't need checking very often - so again I don't see the issue. I flip the bonnet on my Yeti once every 10,000 miles or so - just to have a check all is well. If that's 6 screws every 5000 miles then I don't really see the issue.

The bit I'm unsure about is the front. Looks a little "piggy" to me. Like the side. Like the back.

Bring on the Brabus version - that's what I say.

Comment

Well I may be alone in saying this... I like it.
            Actually I *really* like the interior - the white/blue combo especially. Looks modern & fresh. And funky - almost a return to the 450 days - not in so far of the design, but the willingness to be bold & different.
            I kinda like the white/blue (although I guess it is not going to wear well - white shows EVERYTHING). The original Blue/Orange interior of a 450 is more a hard sell to the general public than a contemporary colour combination, such as this. I guess this is Smart attempting to say that they are with the times. Certainly, the bright interior is a thankful option than having a dark and gloomy interior (thinking of a friends Skoda Octavia VRS here).

The engine cover isn't that big a deal, is it? If you are working on the engine a lot, then yeah, it would be annoying to do 6 screws instead of one but then again, once all sealed up, wouldn't that reduce the interior noise (less vibration)?

To be fair, I agree with Thrumbleux in that the bonnet looks like it would be a pendulum in the wind. Guess that (and the 451) would be a prime modding opportunity to add a discreet hinge to it. Of course, that isn't the point. Still looks duff.

I'm struggling to believe what I've seen on this thread.
            I am struggling with what I've read/seen for the 453 as a whole.

Comment

Changed my order now. Gone for a Prime premium plus and added all the extras. After seeing an edition 1 interior liked the leather and the colour scheme in the Prime better.

Comment

Have you driven one before you placed your order?
                If not how do you know if you are comfortable driving it?
                Or is it a statement piece for you?

Comment

I think some people would not be happy regardless of what it looked like. We all campaign for change then moan when it comes. I like the new smart, I can't wait to see what the Brabus looks like, I was planning to buy a Brabus 451 this year but as I have just moved home that money has been spent. So maybe I wait a few years and get the 453 brabus

Comment

Drove the manual version and was impressed however I have ordered the automatic version and have a delivery date in June. I will keep this until I have seen and test drove a new brabus version. I have afew cars and mainly use my existing brabus smart for my trips to the station and just pottering about hence my 3 year old brabus cabrio as only 12000 miles on the clock.

Comment

Fair enough.
                      I haven't seen either the new 42 or 44 in the flesh yet so can't really comment.
                      I have seen the new Twingo that the 44 shares a platform with & I like the look of that, quite cute looking.

Comment

If you get the chance to dive I am sure you will be impressed. The turning circle is really unbelievable and the car absorbers the bumps so much better.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X