Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool shop talk

Whatsit?

It is a particularly useful tool. One I made myself in 1981. Made out of 316 stainless steel. Flat bar is 3 mm thick and 25 mm wide. Handle is riveted to flat bar. Not sure if tools like the above can be bought. This tool makes certain maintenance procedures totally painless.

Whatsit?

Last edited by tolsen; 26-02-15, 07:03 PM.

Does the first person to answer correctly win one as a prize?

Comment

Yes he does. He will receive sufficient dimensional details and material specification so he can manufacture the tool for his own personal use.

Comment

Clue required.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
          Clue required.
          Brakes.

Comment

Manipulating brake shoes.

Comment

I'll accept that as a correct answer. Tool is used to lift brake shoes off the support bearing at lower end of shoe (item 15 in below line drawing).

Of course hold down pins must be disconnected first. All springs can be removed with ease once shoes have been lifted off support bearing (15).

Tool dimensional details and materials:
              Flat bar 2 to 3 mm thick steel or stainless steel 25 mm wide, length before forming claw 70 mm. Claw is shaped by bending over edge of a 1/4" steel plate. Claw length 6.5 + 6.5 mm. Slot between claws 6.5 mm wide.
              Handle length is not that important. Mine is 110 mm and shaped out of 5 mm stainless steel rod, each end turned down to form rivets. Can also be made out of previously mentioned flat bar. Connect by welding or riveting. Tool end of flat bar handle need to be shaped by file to form rivets.

Comment

I won! My turn.
                What tool did I discover last year that is a quantum leap ahead of what went before in performance and precision? A bit vague so I'll provide a couple of clues. It is circular in shape and the differentiator is one of dimension.

Comment

Is that Smart related? If not, start your own thread in another forum.

Comment

Yes, I've used it on my smart. But as per your tool, it isn't smart specific.

Comment

We need pictures in this thread.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X