Polishing plastic panels on a city coupe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing plastic panels on a city coupe

Hi I recently bought myself a nice little cheap smart car and decided to give it a polish the other day as it has an outline of a phone number number on it from where it was used as a form of advertising..

The paintwork has also faded badly on the plastic panels in places so the colour seems to go from bright yellow on some panels to primrose yellow so wish to get the panels back to one colour.

I tried my trusty buffer on the panels with a decent compound and it hasn't made the slightest bit of difference and I've also tried autoglym resin polish and I even tried a bit of linseed oil on the plastic but nothing seems to get the shine back.

I was wondering if wet flatting with some 2000 grade would be the answer but being that it's coloured plastic rather than painted would this damage the panels.
    Last edited by vince; 02-05-16, 09:13 PM.

I've got the same problem.
    10 years ago I took the "SMART" logo off the front of my Hello Yellow MK5 & you could just about see where it was.
    I tried T-cut & polishing but it made no difference!
    Now 10 years on it is much more noticeable. It seems like the panels are fading at different rates, I suppose it depends how the car is parked each day, sun on one side more that the other bleaching the panels.
    I've also got some discolouring on the front panel & you can feel an edge, It's like it is oxidising, I've actually picked some off!
    If you find A way of restoring the colour I'd love to know.

Comment

Wrap it

Comment

I'm interested in how to lose scuff marks also (without having to wrap it). I think I have seen someone dress the panels down first with wet and dry but can't remember exactly or that it was even a smart (the internet is a big place) but pretty sure it was a plastic self-coloured panel.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X