A Frames

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Frames

Has anyone had a Fortwo on an A frame? this kind of thing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Towing-A-F...QAAOSw9ZdXKeTn
    ie is there enough ground clearance? Just weighing up my options of collecting one if I buy one that's not local.

Don't know much about them other than:
    Plenty use them to fortwos behind camper vans so maybe a camper van forum would offer some advice. And there is some legal thing that over a certain weight the brake lights have to show on the towed vehicle - I think.
    If you have a vehicle up to towing the additional weight of a trailer, a trailer can be hired relatively cheaply (£35 for 24hrs it cost me 6 years back).

Edit PS
    More than just brake lights I think as that is easily covered with a light board. Operational brakes?
    Bear in mind (if you are buying a non-runner) that the rear axle must be good. No seized brakes, bald/flat tyres, locked in gear due to transmission fault.
    Last edited by Thrumbleux; 06-05-16, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
      Don't know much about them other than:
      Plenty use them to fortwos behind camper vans so maybe a camper van forum would offer some advice. And there is some legal thing that over a certain weight the brake lights have to show on the towed vehicle - I think.
      If you have a vehicle up to towing the additional weight of a trailer, a trailer can be hired relatively cheaply (£35 for 24hrs it cost me 6 years back).

Smarts being towed by motorhomes usually have a couple of towing eyes fastened to the front of them to attach to a specific A Frame like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Towing-A-F...YAAOSwInVXHdgZ I already have an A frame that I've used to recover a couple of broken down cars ... Emily's Seicento being one of them .... but the recovered car needs a certain amount of room under the front bumper otherwise the A frame is levering against the lower edge of the bumper. Re lighting ..... I have a trailer board & a long extenstion lead

Comment

The A-frame in your first post - I don't know how it attaches. About the only thing substantial underneath a 450 to attach anything to are the wishbones as the crossmember is covered completely by undertray as can be seen here.

I think (as you suspect) the lower edge of the front panel is going to be in your way if you try and hook up underneath. Removing the front though, would obviate that.

Comment

The A-frame in your first post - I don't know how it attaches. About the only thing substantial underneath a 450 to attach anything to are the wishbones as the crossmember is covered completely by undertray as can be seen here .....
          Each leg has a vertical post on it with a short chain on it. The chain passes over the wish bone and attaches to the rachet straps and the vertical post sits at the front of the wishbone. So when towing, the chain effectively pulls the car along while the post stops the towed car from hitting the back of the towing car.

I have to thank you for turning your car on its side to show me! lol

Comment

Originally posted by EmilysDad View Post

I have to thank you for turning your car on its side to show me! lol
            With a broken clutch actuator and two seized bolts to remove before I can fit a new one - the car on its side would be a help!

Comment

With a broken clutch actuator and two seized bolts to remove before I can fit a new one - the car on its side would be a help!
              haha ;-)

You can't squirt enough Plusgas on a seized bolt

Comment

Just to say that you definitely can put a Fortwo on an A frame without it fouling under the bumper & it'll stay attached for 200 miles or so :-)

Comment

What's this thread all about lol?, you appear to be talking to yourself and quoting stuff not actually in this thread?

Confused of where I live
                  Last edited by 10:45PM; 07-05-16, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 10:45PM View Post
                    What's this thread all about lol?, you appear to be talking to yourself and quoting stuff not actually in this thread?

Confused of where I live

I initially asked if anyone had used an A frame to tow a Fortwo and if so had there been any problems with the A frame being hard up against the lower edge of the bumper. I've just answered my original question by saying YES .... they can be towed on an A frame with no problems ...... I've proved it today by towing a Smart :-)

And all my quotes have been from this thread ........ ;-)

Comment

But I can't see any of Thrumbleux's original posts ????? , the one's you're quoting ?

Up to before I posted , there are just five posts .... from you.

Is the smartmaniacs database all screwed up ?, or have I just entered .... the twilight zone lol
                      Last edited by 10:45PM; 08-05-16, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 10:45PM View Post
                        But I can't see any of Thrumbleux's original posts ????? , the one's you're quoting ?

Up to before I posted , there are just five posts .... from you.

Is the smartmaniacs database all screwed up ?, or have I just entered .... the twilight zone lol
                        I have been know to talk to myself ..... lol

Comment

Originally posted by EmilysDad View Post

I have been know to talk to myself ..... lol

And me mysteriously disappear....

Comment

And me mysteriously disappear....

haha

Comment

what guan !??!? lol

Comment