Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motorway driving

Hey!
    So I'm a new driver and am getting a cute little blue smart car as my first car next week, and I was just wondering what they're like to drive on the motorway.

I'm planning on going to Cambridge and to Lincoln soon (I currently live liverpool way) and was wondering if it's safe to drive all that distance on the motorway in a smart car as I've read mixed opinions about it, and wanted advice from people who know what driving the car is like.

Thanks!
    Rach x

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see another Merseyside Smart driver (I am from the Wirral and run the local-ish WirralSmarts club).

Though you don't give any specific about which model of Smart you have (the year would be helpful, I assume here it is a Fortwo), they are all perfectly safe to drive on motorways over long distances. I've driven a 2002 version of the Fortwo from the Wirral to Beaulieu (near Southampton) a few times and used to commute 100 miles a day in it to North Wales and back for work, all on motorway type roads and speeds.

The biggest consideration you need to remember is that the car, being light, relatively tall and flat sided, is crosswinds as they can catch you out from time to time but in my experience, its only ever been on stormy days when this was a concern - the relatively calm weather we are having now means all should be fine. Other than that, things like overtaking aren't too much of a hassle provided you remember to change down when doing so (so you have a bit more oomph when doing so) but otherwise, they will quite happily run on the motorway and you are safe doing so.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 13-07-16, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Hey! Thank you for that, it helps a lot! I actually don't know what type of smart it is myself yet. It's my Stepdads bosses car, and he's selling it and so I'm buying it off him because I've always liked smart cars, but I've not actually seen it myself my Stepdads test drove it for me and stuff and I'm getting it next week so I'll know when I finally see it, but I've got photos and it looks gorgeous!
      Thanks so much for your help, makes me feel a lot better as to go to and from uni I'm going on the motorway with it so knowing I can do long journeys in it safely is a relief! Thank you! I didn't know there were smart car clubs, I'll have a look at your one and probably will come say hi at some point! Thanks for your help! x

Comment

If you have a photo of it you can show, we can identify at least what model it is :-)
        Last edited by Ocracoke; 13-07-16, 03:21 PM.

Comment

i drove my city coupe (an early fortwo) to south germany and back, just remember that you will be shuffling cogs the gears to keep up at times. but having said that the 451 is apparently more stable at speed due to it being longer than the 450.
          Last edited by lalli_d1; 14-07-16, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Just say what year nunber plate its on and we can work it out from that more or less.

mixed opinions
            The negative opinions will be from non-owners - simple.

They're all just fine on the motorway. Worry ye not

Comment

This is my baby that I'm getting next week Thanks for your help guys x

Comment

Concur with the above - use ours on the motorway regularly. In really strong winds it can be blown about a little (due to the high flat sides) but never to the point where you have to stop.

Comment

This is my baby that I'm getting next week Thanks for your help guys x
                  Was there a photo attached? I don't see one. As lalli_d1 says, the year part of the numberplate would be OK as well.
                  Last edited by Ocracoke; 15-07-16, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Yeah it was attached, I reattach it to this one
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sweet colour combo

Comment

Though I own & drive two Smarts, 451 & a Roadster, I'd not relish that journey too many times in a Fortwo Smart, as hinted to above, they're vulnerable to cross winds. Also as a new driver just be aware of bullying drivers that just can't bear to be overtaken by a 'bloody Smart' ....... I've just had one pratt tonight in a FIAT something (Focus/Astra sized) that decided he just had to be in front of me and attempted a few times at stupid places where he'd have just been infront of me but behind the car I'd just been behind ...... mine's a Passion 84bhp so easily capable of keeping up with an 'also ran FIAT'

Comment

Yeah it was attached, I reattach it to this one
                          Looks nice, that blue is the sort of blue my wife wants her 450 (the previous one to yours - http://wirralsmarts.co.uk/model-guide.php?model=451) painted in.

As EmilysDad points out, some people seem to have an aversion to being overtaken by a Smart. Let them get on with it, they are only wasting their fuel then.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X