Should I avoid the MHD model?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wesley Smart View Post
    I do apologise! I meant I have seen 84hp Smarts being advertised but there's no mention of turbo, so are all 84hp Smart cars turbos? Thank you!!

Yes.

Comment

I have been checking some of the cars' MOT & Mileage history online and found a lot of cars have this advisory " Under-trays fitted obscuring some under components"...

Comment

As far as I am aware, all Smarts (certainly the 450 and the 454 as a "anti-noise capsule") have a undertray and the 451 is no different so I'd not worry about this (reference: http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php...terior&mod=569). It is the same deal if you have wheel trims over the wheels - I had a advisory for that very thing.

Comment

The undertray though obscures the brake pipes which can rot and go undetected by MOT tester. Other than those, not much is hidden, but brake pipes are vulnerable and worth checking outwith MOT test.

Comment

Thanks guys!! I am planning to arrange either RAC or AA to inspect the Smart which I am going to buy in the future. Do you have any thoughts or comments regarding this issue? I have read both good and bad reviews Not sure if the mechanic inspector will be able to spot all the faults or imminent catastrophes that's what I am saying..........

Comment

Do you have any thoughts or comments regarding this issue?
              About the brake pipes being obscured by the undertray?

I have read both good and bad reviews Not sure if the mechanic inspector will be able to spot all the faults or imminent catastrophes that's what I am saying..........
              As discussed, the engines in a non MHD 451 are pretty robust, as is the transmission though there have been reports of folks struggling to get Reverse (there is a transmission update available if that is the case). Anti-roll bar bushes squeaking is a common annoyance but a good test drive will alleviate any concerns about that.

Comment

i have a 2009 smart 451 cabrio / 84bhp / turbo & its done 114 thousand miles with no major issues , just normal wear & tear like balljionts / wishbone / anti-roll bar bushes . never had any advisories from m.o.t as my independent smart repairer checks / services it before he takes it for m.o.t . only issue i did have was the actuator on the gearbox / not going into reverse . but my smart repairer sorted that with a update on his laptop program ..

tony / oldgit

Comment

I think the 451 84hp and brabus have proven to be the most reliable over the years.

Nice car btw Tony.

Comment

Thanks guys!!! Would it be money well spent to hire a RAC / AA man to inspect my future Smart car before I part with my hard earned cash? Many thoughts or advice will be much appreciated......

Comment

What screen wipers do Smart cars use please? Do they have use-by date on them? My local ASDA is flogging some Michelin ones for £1.50 each...

Comment

Would it be money well spent to hire a RAC / AA man to inspect my future Smart car before I part with my hard earned cash?
                        If I wasn't sure about what I was looking at to buy, I would do this with any used vehicle purchase.

What screen wipers do Smart cars use please?
                        I presume you are looking for 451 information? Evilution has this information - http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php...vicing&mod=591

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley Smart View Post
                          Thank you guys!! Has anyone had the misfortune of a V-belt snapping??!

YES! Amazingly just 20 yards from home at 3am!.. Ended up having a free(ish) replacement/repair done at Smart Colindale..Got the car back after a week and yes as mentioned it was found to be a design flaw / misalignment issue (so I was told). I have a 451 coupe 2013 model and this happened a week after I purchased it (used) in late March 2016. Three months later (again lucky or what) a quarter of a mile from work every warning light came on. The charges being quoted scared me however in the end never got charged for the parts (whatever they were) however a payment for a mini diagnostic and some labour and ready in a day.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X