Reverse gear problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse gear problem

Just got a 08 Fortwo Limited Two 1lt petrol with 40,000 on the clock, we'v done 300 miles in it, and it seems to have an intermittent fault when selecting reverse gear i have to move the lever to and frow from neutral to reverse a number of times and finally it will go into reverse and show on the indicator on the speedo, the indicator shows N until it selects reverse, it has only happend 4/5 times up to know. hope this an easy fix

Sounds like it could be the brake light switch. If the car doesn't think you've got your foot on the brake it won't select reverse.
    Don't be fooled if your brake lights still work, the switch has 2 sets of contacts.
    On my car (2001) I get a zero on the dash if this happens.

Comment

Hey there, welcome to the forum! Nice to see a local person on here, I am not too far away from you on the Wirral. Is this the 2008 ForTwo that was on sale in Moreton recenty per chance?

If it isn't the brake light switch, wonder what the state of the clutch actuator is? Sounds like it could need a reteach.
      Last edited by Ocracoke; 10-04-18, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Isn't this just par for the 451 course? Seem to recall this being a common issue (software?).
        I'll be surprised if Google doesn't offer up stacks of pages on the topic....

Comment

Oh I didn't realize it's a 451! Yeah there has been quite a few people that had to have a software update installed for gearbox faults.
          Don't know if it is a recall thing or you have to pay.

Comment

Take the car to smart. and ask for a software update.
            This is a very common problem on early 451's, and in most cases the update will fix the problem.
            The problem is related to friction on the clutch shaft causing the clutch operation to abort.
            In the beginning the fix was to replace the clutch, and later fixed it by introducing retries of the
            operation in the gear/clutch software. They also added a number of new error codes so that
            the problem could be easier diagnosed. I had this problem almost every day on my 451, and never
            saw it after the update.
            Bjorn

Comment

Hi Ocracoke and others who replied, yes it its the car from Morton, it has not done it since, Ive been in touch with the seller (car sales, Morton, Wirral) and they said they will check it over will let you know how I get on. Thanks for all your replies and help. Jim.

Comment

Unless the place that sold you the car has a STAR diagnostic machine (which I doubt), they may not be able to check it over properly. As noted above, I would recommend getting the software update first to see if it corrects the problem at all. Give Ball and Brown a call (01704 808845) - they are in Southport and do have a STAR machine to apply the update with. Worth travelling the distance to get it applied.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X