Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crank Position Sensor not budging? Try this...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank Position Sensor not budging? Try this...

The following I have lifted from another forum. It applies to another (not smart) car but a CPS is CPS and seeing how often they are a PITA to remove on any car, it may be of use. Here you go:

''The cps was solid, mole grips a full tin of wd 40 and 3 days later still would not budge then on the 4th day a slight movement twist pull and jiggle all I could but nothing, the inevitable happened it broke at the top shoulder oh cr*p what to do now. search site for answers could it be drilled out not really cant drill a magnate might go too far and drill actuating ring oh bother the only solution i could find was to remove gearbox and get it out from inside bell housing .
    Me thinks this is turning into a nightmare having to take gearbox out for a piddling little sensor there must be another way.
    I AM NOT ADVOCATING THIS AS A WAY TO DO THIS BUT IT WORKED FOR ME

This is the way I did it let me say this was s**t or bust scenario as i did not know what the outcome might be
    i found a longish screwdriver with a thin blade and a blow lamp kept heating up the end of screwdriver and poking it into hole and burning through plastic round magnate, after about half hour of poking prodding and cursing it all came out a quick clean inside hole and fitted new cps.''

Originally posted by notly1988 View Post
    ]I AM NOT ADVOCATING THIS AS A WAY TO DO THIS BUT IT WORKED FOR ME
    Too late! If have to change mine, that's the method I'll be using. Cheers!

Comment

One needs to prepare in advance to avoid problems later. Pull ut all sensors prone to seizure whilst car is new. Apply grease to and refit. On my 450 Cdi, access to crank position sensor is poor compared to the petrol models. I can still get the sensor out in less than 5 minutes whilst others struggle for days.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
        One needs to prepare in advance to avoid problems later. Pull ut all sensors prone to seizure whilst car is new. Apply grease to and refit. On my 450 Cdi, access to crank position sensor is poor compared to the petrol models. I can still get the sensor out in less than 5 minutes whilst others struggle for days.

Too late! About ten years too late. I tried to remove mine (to grease and refit) when I had the engine out in 2016. Already ten years too late, it wouldn't budge without risking breakage so left it there as still functioning as it should. Should it fail though....

Comment

I first pulled my cps sensor in 2002. Greased both bore and threads. Pulled it again end of last year to clean iron filings off its tip. Came out like a dream.

Comment

There is a similar problem with the rear ABS sensors on the 450. To avoid them seizing I have filed out the bores where they sit.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
              There is a similar problem with the rear ABS sensors on the 450. To avoid them seizing I have filed out the bores where they sit.
              I noticed this when I replaced the axle on my wife's Roadster, the sensors are a very snug fit even with a rust-free bore and very hard to remove after rust has taken hold. I used a coarse sanding wheel on a Dremel style tool to make the bore a slightly looser fit and assembled with plenty of grease.

With a dead, seized CPS it's worth using a suitable drift and hammer to give the sensor a really good whack down into it's bore to try to break the corrosion bond. This will ruin the connector however, so no good if you want to remove a good sensor and reuse it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X