Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie looking to buy first Smart, couple questions

Hi all,

Another newbie here, originally from Holland but living in sunny Southend-on-sea since 2006.

Bit of a petrolhead, currently got a Jaguar S type R (4.2 supercharged V8) as a daily and a 3000GT (3.0 V6 twin turbo) as a weekend car.

But the wife doesn't really like driving either car has now said she would also like a little car for herself and has always said she really likes the smart fortwo convertible someone around the corner from us has.

I've been a passenger in the brabus version of a fortwo convertible once, and must admit with the bigger wheel arches and twin exhaust it's not a bad looking little car, so that's what we're after now.

Though looking online i've seen different models all claiming to be the brabus version, but with different engine sizes/power.

Is there a clear overview somewhere of the engine types used on the brabus models, and the difference between the city and the fortwo ?

Brief basic history:
    All smarts had a 599cc (all turbo) engine until 2003, when it went up to 698cc (all turbo), then in 2007 it went up to 999cc (option of turbo or NA), then in 2014 it went to an option of 999cc-N/A or 898cc-turbo..

Brabus models are no different, same base block used, just tuned to higher outputs with combi of a different engine map and turbo/exhaust and other minor hardware - injectors sometimes. (I've never heard yet of a NA Brabus)
    Last edited by 10:45PM; 29-07-15, 08:25 PM.

Comment

As a petrolhead - may I introduce you to the Smart Roadster....

As far as fortwo Brabus models go - first question is...

Are you considering a 1999-2007 model, a 2007-2015 model or the latest brand new 2015+ model?

The first ones, the proper Brabus wasn't released until 2003 - earlier ones had the option of Brabus upgrades but were basically just the standard engine with a remap and a few go-faster goodies.
      The 2003-2007 Brabus is a bit of a peach as it's based on the standard engine, but with improved internals, more power and hugely better longevity whilst still having the "character" of the original city-coupe concept.
      The way to tell if it's genuine is the spec - leather heated seats, brabus wheels, brabus exhaust, brabus bodykit, brabus air intake / fuel cap, front foglamps, aircon, brabus clocks, brabus gearknob / handbrake / pedal covers, glass roof, sound pack speakers (noted by seeing tweeters on the dashtop). Most "replicas" I have seen are missing at least some of the spec.
      If you know what you're looking for, when you look at the underneath of the engine, you'll spot the oil cooler - the standard (non-Brabus) cars don't have that.

Comment

Originally posted by 10:45PM View Post
        Brabus models are no different, same base block used, just tuned to higher outputs with combi of a different engine map and turbo/exhaust and other minor hardware - injectors sometimes. (I've never heard yet of a NA Brabus)
        In the case of the 2003-2007 fortwo 450, different pistons & piston rings, oil cooler, different plugs, different turbo.
        Makes a huge difference to engine longevity.

Comment

Minor hardware 137 , minor hardware

Comment

Cheers for the replies folks, much appreciated.

I'm not keen on the 2015 look and am probably looking at spending around £ 6000, on our smart so i'd probably want a 2007 model then, with the 999c engine.

Do you happen to know the BPH on the different models as well ?

And are all Brabus models turbo charged, or are there NA brabus's as well, and can they both be called 'city' and 'fortwo' or do Brabus models only come in one of those varieties ?

I've driven a Brabus Roadstar years ago, and remember it being fun to drive, but it's not the kind of car my wife wants and i'm also not so keen on the looks of it.

Comment

A key feature of Brabus usually equates to more engine power, that is easy with a turbo engine.. I've never heard of a Brabus NA,... of any brand.

Merc namechanged it to the Fortwo in 2003 when they brought out the Forfour (4 seater), previously it was called the City Coupe ...

Expect a 20-30% boost (pardon the pun) in power on Brabus models compared to stock.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X