Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

Hi All,
    I'm testing the water on what Smart to buy. Completely new and inexperienced of the brand.
    I've just been out in a 2004 Smart Fortwo Brabus, it's done 42k with leather and presumably all other Brabus extra. @£2k
    I've got 2 more to look at, a 2004 Fortwo Passion 0.7 with 19k on the clock @ £2595
    And a 2013 Fortwo 1.0 MHD with 37000 miles @ £3500 on.
    What would be my best buy?
    Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bobby 2000; 12-07-18, 03:43 PM.

Welcome along. Can't offer much advice on the first two other than the Brabus will likely be the most fun to drive but possibly more expensive on things like VED and insurance. All 450s need to be approached with caution as the engines require rebuilding at low mileage in today's terms. Both the first two cars are low mileage - genuine? The third on your list - the MHD - is best avoided. The MHD system sheds its belt and as it also drives the water pump and there's no temp gauge only an easily missed warning - cooked engine ensues.
    Pick of the 451s seems to be the 84hp turbo - the only one I'd consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
      Welcome along. Can't offer much advice on the first two other than the Brabus will likely be the most fun to drive but possibly more expensive on things like VED and insurance. All 450s need to be approached with caution as the engines require rebuilding at low mileage in today's terms. Both the first two cars are low mileage - genuine? The third on your list - the MHD - is best avoided. The MHD system sheds its belt and as it also drives the water pump and there's no temp gauge only an easily missed warning - cooked engine ensues.
      Pick of the 451s seems to be the 84hp turbo - the only one I'd consider.
      Thanks for the welcome.
      I'm completely green regarding smart cars. I really only want this car for hopefully a bit of fun. I'm in the process of selling my Peugeot 407 coupe, which should be gone this weekend, (sorry to see it go) but it just wasn't getting used less than 1k per year.
      I didn't drive the Brabus, but was quite surprised by it performance and ride, a bit noisy but no more than I expected ,seemed quite comfortable. Every thing seemed up together, I will test drive the other two and try to form an opinion.
      I have thought that if I bought the Brabus I would have around £1k to play around with, I only want really to spend a max of £3500.
      Thanks for your comments.
      Bob

Comment

The Brabus engine is more durable (goes longer before requiring rebuild) than regular fortwos which all need a rebuild (not just a valve replaced but the oil control rings dealt with or more burnt valves ensue) so if advertised as rebuilt, question the quality and source of the rebuild. One that hasn't been rebuilt is a ticking time bomb. High oil consumption is the clue to pending valve failure but no one is going to admit to it.
        MHD if it fails will keep failing - it's the belt tensioning system that is weak.
        If the Brabus running costs are OK with you, and its mileage is genuine with no obvious problems - hard to see a reason not to give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
          The Brabus engine is more durable (goes longer before requiring rebuild) than regular fortwos which all need a rebuild (not just a valve replaced but the oil control rings dealt with or more burnt valves ensue) so if advertised as rebuilt, question the quality and source of the rebuild. One that hasn't been rebuilt is a ticking time bomb. High oil consumption is the clue to pending valve failure but no one is going to admit to it.
          MHD if it fails will keep failing - it's the belt tensioning system that is weak.
          If the Brabus running costs are OK with you, and its mileage is genuine with no obvious problems - hard to see a reason not to give it a go.
          Thanks for your input.
          That's interesting to know about the Brabus engine being more robust. I have sort of fallen for it a little already. Although I didn't study all the history that he showed me, there was quite a folder full of service and old MOT. I should have written down the reg no then I could have done an Internet search of car.
          The owner only lives a 5 mins walk from me and seemed genuine.

Comment

The ONLY 450 worth buying (unless you're handy with spanners and don't mind a problem child) is the Brabus.
            It's the one that has a chance of being reliable!
            And as has been said - avoid the MHD.

Comment

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
              The ONLY 450 worth buying (unless you're handy with spanners and don't mind a problem child) is the Brabus.
              It's the one that has a chance of being reliable!
              And as has been said - avoid the MHD.
              I've just bought a Brabus subject to a sevice and new mot, should collect it next week.

Comment

Here's a few pictures of my Brabus.
                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X