Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A refit of my 2002 mk5

Hey Everyone!

I've taken a few days off of work to finish painting a set of panels I got for my 2002 Mk5. After battling with a load of ideas, I settled on white (much like the Ice White on the ForFour) with Silver Holographic sparkles in the paint.

So the car went from this:

To this:

I still need to paint the front panels (I ran out of paint. x.x), the sills below the tridion and put a new vinyl layer on the roof (hopefully, I will have that done by the 16th of August). I took the car to the local petrol station to clean the alloys that have come off the car - the amount of looks. Makes me glad I am in a Smart.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 04-01-16, 10:40 PM.

Ooosh that white is amazing! Look forward to seeing the finished panels on this!

Comment

Lovely paint finish...
      but Jeez, I haven't seen a set of 'mooneyes' for years since on Leomobile's (old forum member) car.

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

Originally posted by RacingSnake View Post
        Lovely paint finish...
        but Jeez, I haven't seen a set of 'mooneyes' for years since on Leomobile's (old forum member) car.
        You won't be saying it is a good paint finish when you see in in real life. I won't go into details but the lack of a large, covered space is pretty obvious up close. But then again, I can say I painted my own car. Can't be nothing wrong about that.

The mooneyes (I thought they were called moondiscs) were a last minute change. I had brought some Brabus Monoblock VIs and was in the middle of painting them when I had a wobble about them (I drive about 100 miles a day in that car so any wheels being fitted need to be durable - and those just ain't from all accounts) so I switched back to the steel wheels. Doesn't feel like a downgrade at all.

Ooosh that white is amazing! Look forward to seeing the finished panels on this!
        Thanks! If you are going to the Gaydon Heritage Motor Centre on August the 16th, I'll be around and I'll have it done by then.

Comment

Over here in the states, they have been referred to as "Moondiscs" since the early 1950's. They were first sold by the Moon Performance Company in California. The "Mooneyes" were on a decal that was their logo from early on.

Comment

The rest of my paint arrived this morning so I'll be prepping my front panels, side skirts and passenger door for painting. If I get enough time, I'll try and do the roof as well but I seriously doubt it. The Monoblock Alloys are a bit of a wildcard in that they are half done but if I can get it done, I will try.

Once done, a good interior and engine valet is on the cards and then the car will be ready for Gaydon.

Comment

looks v good - great choice

not v keen on the wheels though tbh - some nice black steelies (banded) would look great

didn't someone go for a-class steelies with 3-5 converters?

trid in lime green now - haha!!

JJ
              Last edited by problemchild1976; 03-08-14, 07:26 PM.

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

Originally posted by problemchild1976 View Post
                looks v good - great choice

not v keen on the wheels though tbh - some nice black steelies (banded) would look great

didn't someone go for a-class steelies with 3-5 converters?

trid in lime green now - haha!!

JJ
                Lime green tridion... wow. What was the panel colour?

The wheel covers are a bit marmite-ish, I do agree. There are moment where I look at them and think what was I thinking. Then again, you don't see them in this country pretty much at all, so there is an exclusivity factor there (although I am certain may wish to debate that point).

I was hoping to debut the car at Gaydon when the panels were finished but I've had a small disaster with the paint gun so no, that won't happen.

Comment

Since my last post, the 2002 mk5 didn't make it to Gaydon as he just wasn't finished in time. Luckily, the 2001 CDI was ready so he went instead.

However, since Gaydon, the car has been worked on. The first element was that the Smart Roadster passenger seat are now properly secured down with some stiff, steel brackets to bridge the gap between the runners end and the holes where the normal 450 seat fits. They need painting but they do the job. They still need some padding where the runners don't sit on the seat base (they are floating at the moment) but they feel study enough for a MOT, which was my main concern.

Secondly, the dashboard lights are in the middle of being refitted with LEDs. I thought that the lights in the pods would be patchy at best but to be honest, I don't see it. With the dashboard and rear internal lights also now LED, the lighting is much improved (although the dashboard light seems to want to permanently stay on in a dimmed fashion as the picture shows).

Finally, the Brabus Monoblock VI wheels. I had a go at painting them myself as they were in a corroded state. To be honest, to describe the attempt as lens-crackling and eye wateringly bad would be an understatement. They were really shocking so after a period of staring at them with embarrassment, I took them to the wheel restorers and... damn. They are now fantastic in a dark anthracite. They'll only go on the car for shows like Beaulieu if I don't use the moondiscs - the steel wheels will stick around for commuting.

The extra time till Beaulieu and Ace Cafe (I hope) means I can work on my custom ICE system (hence why I didn't attempt to change the radio lights) but in terms of priority, the front panels and the side skirts need painting first. Still, I can code the ICE system in any spare time I have until the panels are finished. That is looking increasingly tricky because the paint gun has died on me today so *sigh*.
                  Last edited by Ocracoke; 04-01-16, 10:42 PM.

Comment

those are v nice wheels

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

Nice, progress! I'm confused about your Roadster seat 'mod' I run them in two of my cars without any custom brackets,

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Kapt. Q View Post
                        Nice, progress! I'm confused about your Roadster seat 'mod' I run them in two of my cars without any custom brackets,

Cheers!
                        In my car, the seat runners line up correctly with the driver side. However, on the passenger side, the seat base is not as long, so on the 450 seats I have, the runners are "bent" (for want of a better word) downwards to line up with the screw hole to anchor them down. Neither of the Roadster seats have this bend in them so the overshoot the edge of the seat base - hence the brackets.

I am led to believe (from Evil's site here -> http://www.evilution.co.uk/Interior/...t_swapping.htm) that the bent runners is the norm for a 450. In essence, the bracket is just a non-welding variation of that mod.
                        Last edited by Ocracoke; 08-09-14, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Hello everyone!

Since last time, I ordered more paint, painted the front of my car and finished the front of Vern so he will now be going to Beaulieu! I would have liked to have done the side skirts but I don't think I'll get time to do it before hand so a good clean/polish will have to suffice.

It too, has been given the sparkle treatment.

There still a host of small items needed to be cleaned and painted, like the arch extenders, gear stick covers and endless bolt heads but in essence, the car's exterior is done.

Once those little things are done and the Brabus wheels attached, I'll be doing some beauty passes for a video.

Furthermore, the custom ICE solution is coming on. For the moment, I have very little hardware to install but after I get paid, I'll be getting the hardware for the ICE system. The software is, however, coming along nicely - got a nice UI made up for it.
                          Last edited by Ocracoke; 04-01-16, 10:43 PM.

Comment

You've been working hard!!! Looks good, well done. Hope to see you again soon in the not too distant future......

Comment

Originally posted by fortwo long View Post
                              You've been working hard!!! Looks good, well done. Hope to see you again soon in the not too distant future......
                              Yeah, I hope to see you soon as well.

Today, more in a fit of moodiness than anything else, I decided to put on the Monoblock VIs onto my car. This, of course, requires the arch extenders to be put on which was a colossal nightmare. The ends would clip on fine but the middle section just flat refused to (I think the middle clip is just stiffer than the rest). After some "persuasion", they went on and are clipped in.

Just as a comparison, I took a photo of the side with one end of the car still with the steels and the other side with the alloys on.

Once fitted, went for a drive and all appears to be fine. There isn't any wobble nor is there any rubbing.

All my ICE equipment came last Friday so I've been busy configuring it to at least run. I should have something mounted into the car by the end of the month and therefore, something to show. The software is being worked on on and off but by the time I head to Beaulieu, it will be working because there is no way I am driving 5 1/2 hours without some music.
                              Last edited by Ocracoke; 04-01-16, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X