hyperlinks in threads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hyperlinks in threads

i flagged this up a while ago but it was only on one thread at the time but its slowly creeping into more and more threads.

at first it was just my iphone but now my laptop too.

i know a few other members had reported it too but many others hadn't but i'm just flagging it up again as it seems to be spreading.

when you hover over the link it says "shopping link added by skimwords"

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Re: hyperlinks in threads

I believe it is part of the latest Vbulletin update, the software behind this site (sad how this same update has caused so many other issues too), I think it only 'works' if javascript is enabled, could be wrong though. It doesn't come up on my browser, thankfully (I run a lot of adware/spyware/malicious software protection). Generates income indirectly for the site perhaps through people clicking on the links?

Cheers!
    Last edited by Kapt. Q; 28-01-14, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Nah, it's OMA's google ads... I'll get him to tone it down, because they are pretty annoying. - maybe get them restricted to people not logged in only.

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

I've actually just seen another issue with the links - if a newbie quotes a post which has these skimlinks in, then it treats it as their own hyperlink and sends the post for moderation
        I'll see if I can switch them off and get David to fix it later

Edit.... errr, that's odd it is disabled apparently... but clearly is not!

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

Think that has worked (disabled) now?

iphone ipad ipod

edit to add, nope, it is actually completely disabled from the site, so this shouldn't be happening this add-in is like a blimmin parasite

I've referred it to OMA to sort out!, as by all accounts they shouldn't be appearing!

Comment

Still doing it. The word "iphone" in your post has a skim-word link to amazon.

Comment

This is crazy, I've tried everything and have now uninstalled the skimlinks plugin... and it is STILL linking the words

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X