New PC, cannot log in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC, cannot log in

Just bought a new PC, and the site does not want to log me in.
    I get the "Logging in" message, but nothing happens so I stay
    on the lnitial page without beeing recognised as a user.
    My old PC still logs me in as usual.
    Bjorn

I have no idea.
    does it happen on other sites? as that sounds like a 'cookie' issue. :|

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

No, other sites work ok including theroadster.net and the local norwegian smartforum.
      Bjorn

Comment

Sorry Bjorn, I'll have to leave this one for David.
        It's not something I've come across where it works on one pc, and not another (assuming both running the same OS).

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

I am currently on vacation in Florida.
          I will postpone this until I am back home in Norway in about aweek.
          The new PC is the all new Surface Pro 3 running W8.1 and the old
          one is on W7, but I have 8.1 on my home desktop, and never saw any issues.
          Bjorn

Comment

Well, I have one of those on pre-order, but they're not released in the UK until the 28th August
            So I'll have to wait for that test!.

I run 8.1 on my laptop and 8.1 on my current surface 1, no issues on either.

Comment

So I am back home,but still the same problem with the new PC.
              I even did a windows refresh without any change..
              I will appreciate the help from from David when he is available.
              Bjorn

Comment

back from my own summer holiday.

if its Internet Explorer you are using, honestly couldn't help you on that as I'm using Safari, Chrome and Firefox

Dave
                David Spalton (OMA)
                SolidWeb.io-> European hosting at Affordable Prices (20% off with SM20)

Comment

I am using Chrome all the time.
                  Is there something like an account reset on the site ?
                  I have been using quite a few different PC (6 including job ones) so may be
                  something got hosed up. Also note my other post of not seeing the "Mark Forum as read"
                  on any PC.
                  Bjorn

Comment

Sorry, but I should just check... what web address are you trying on your new pc?

Comment

The same address as allways: smartmaniacs.co.uk
                      Is there another one ?
                      Bjorn

Comment

No, but I wondered if (somehow) it was linked to an old dead link.

Its difficult when no one else has the error and it cant be replicated. There are no settings in the site control panel which would stop you logging in :|
                        You say you're using chrome... does it work using IE?

Comment

So I just tried a logon with IE, and it worked ok, but my prference is Chrome.
                          Some additional info which may be a clue?:
                          When trying a login using Chrome, I get the message "logging in", and the address field
                          gets an addition as follows:
                          Changes from: smartmaniacs.co.uk
                          Changes to: smartmaniacs.co.uk/?=140474xxxxxx
                          The x-part has different values each time I try a login.
                          Bjorn

Comment

can you try delete all your history, cookies etc?
                            That URL looks very much like the old board one, the new one looks like: http://smartmaniacs.co.uk/forum/gene...-cannot-log-in
                            I am using firefox on my main iMac but using chrome on the MacBook Air, so it has to be something like the cookies

Dave
                            David Spalton (OMA)
                            SolidWeb.io-> European hosting at Affordable Prices (20% off with SM20)

Comment

Hi Dave,
                              You just fixed it !
                              Not by clearing the cookies etc, as I had recently done a full refresh of Windows including new download of Chrome.
                              It was as simple as using the http:// in front of the URL instead of just www. as I have allways done.
                              I never knew there was any difference using the http:// versus using www.
                              If you can explain me the difference I will be all ears.
                              Also, why is this needed just for this site ? I am using www. for other forums like theroadster.net etc
                              Bjorn

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X