Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get the pins out of the radio connectors ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get the pins out of the radio connectors ?

I've finally gathered enough parts to put my Parrot Asteroid in my car, but I'd rather not snip wires if I don't have to.

In order to make use of the existing plug there are a few pins I need to reshuffle, but I can't see how to get the pins to slide out of the connector once they are in.

Anyone tell me the trick to it ? Or is it a case of once they are in they are in forever ?

Thanks!

If they are like pins I've encountered there will be sort of sprung tang that acts like a barb. A very small jeweller's screwdriver wriggled in from the non wire side usually squeezes them in enough to allow the pin to be pulled out by its wire.

Comment

You need a release tool. I made mine out of 1.6 mm diameter stainless steel TIG rod. Filed down to 0.9 mm and slightly chamfered end so tool would not dig into the plastic. You need a pair since there is a small locking leaf spring on each side of the terminal.

Comment

I must have used two screwdrivers then - it's a while ago since I was faffing around with the radio.
        Now you have the gist of how to, you'll just have to improvise a tool(s )- or buy the appropriate tool(s) if the extent of the job warrants it.

Comment

There is a little tab that extends across the whole connnnector you have to push out to allow you then to put a screwdriver down into the connector you want to remove as was mentioned above. Its pretty easy, however thats not to say that Smart in there infinate wisdom didnt change the connector after 2001

Comment

There are two terminal sizes. The tool I described above is for speaker and power terminals. Auxiliary terminals are much smaller. For these the business end of my DIY release tool measures 0.9 mm wide x 0.6 mm thick and 10 mm long. My tool is L shaped and total length is about 80 mm. Takes only a few minutes to make with a sharp flat file and a pair of steady hands. Note that also these smaller terminals have locking leaf springs at each side so you need two release tools.

Comment

Jam a paperclip down the side.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X