Tweeter frequency response

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweeter frequency response

Does anyone know what the frequency response of the standard Smart tweeters is? I have them in my 2003 coupe and want to put a crossover in for an aftermarket head unit, the markings only show the impedance, I know the crossover point will be between 2.5khz and 4khz but an exact figure would be good so I can just use a stage 1 Butterworth crossover.

Stick with the standard headunit and inbuilt crossover. IT's not worth changing to aftermarket.

Comment

Not the question I asked.

Comment

No but the answer saves you having to faff around with crossovers.

Comment

• Buckster
          Buckster commented
          Editing a comment
          Pity you failed to consider that the existing head unit is kaput. Thank you for your complete lack of input.

137699 commented
          Editing a comment
          Well you did not state that anywhere on this thread. And in any case, why not just buy a replacement original headunit - they're not exactly expensive on ebay....

Tweeter frequency range is typically 5 to 30 kHz. I just fitted a pair in my Cabrio. Fantastic sound when powered by the original Grinding cassette radio.
        Only cost me £2.99 for the pair. Got them stuck on to the windscreen frame above dash with licence plate double sided tape. Tape cost nearly as much as the tweeters.
        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2720906462...STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Comment

PS. I have a standard single DIN radio surround in grey if you need one. Fits all 450.

Comment

Not one answer that you wanted

facepalm.jpg

However at the end of the day smart never disclosed what the 3db points were on the 2 way elements, so you will have to choose an arbitrary point for the smart tweets

Comment

• Buckster
              Buckster commented
              Editing a comment
              I will run the crossover at about 3khz and faff around with all of 4 passive components much to the chagrin of the peanut gallery.

Lol

Comment

As far as buying a second hand head unit. For one thing there is nothing to say any unit I would buy would have the correct software to operate with the tweeters, for another it is still going to be an old unit, for a little more money I can have Bluetooth hands free and USB so buying a second hand unit really makes no economic sense. Putting a crossover in will cost me about £5 in components, it really is a no brainer.

Comment

https://www.smart-stuff.parts/radio-...450-fortwo-127

Comment

There is no "software" to operate the tweeters. The CD units all have the function, while the tape units take a plug in module which you would have on your current one if it was a tape unit. And you can add Bluetooth & USB to the standard units very cheaply and easily.

I have been through the process of fitting aftermarket radios - they sound ****, they look **** and they tend to result in a smashed window and a hole in the dashboard. My personal opinion is that keeping the OEM is a much better solution that if done correctly will be a better package.

You're obviously got your mind set on doing it your way so good luck. I was only trying to save you hassle, though it appears you have taken it as criticism for some reason.
                  Last edited by 137699; 02-11-16, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I was actually more bemused by the "state of the keyboard" response that had nothing to do with the question I asked in the opening post. You instantly went off on your personal rant, the Internet of course attracts this kind of thing. I am sorry you live in an area that is akin to a B rated apacolypse movie with burning cars and neds stealing anything that sparkles a little. I don't live somewhere like that so I can't speak into your experiences but conversely without additional information or a request for advice perhaps you should have considered wether or not you were able to answer the opening post rather than instantly heading off on some sort of wild and indeed inept tangent.

Comment

kiss.gif.. Harsh but fair lol

Comment

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
                        Stick with the standard headunit and inbuilt crossover. IT's not worth changing to aftermarket.
                        I agree 100℅.

Comment

Buckster try Facebook for feedback there are a few groups and people who like to help, your more likely to get an answer to your question rather than an answer to something nobody asked

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X