Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: do police stop your smart?

Originally posted by nimze View Post
    stopped in elephant castle for speeding up the bus lane at over 50mph in a 30mph road) n they were on a side road which i neva saw to slow down . . . btw i was realli doin arnd 70/75 . . .

Sorry but for that you rightly deserved to be stopped and hit with hefty fine!!!!

Comment

:silvertri
      Firstly I am a copper, (granted plain clothes tactical unit)
      not road policing (or traffic)
      no full frontal labotomy here! (any traffic officers reading this no offence meant!!):mwaha:
      You will get stopped for many things,
      faulty lights,
      non standard plates,
      tyres, depth or width,
      overly tinted glass,
      the list is fairly lengthy BUT the main reason for stopping you is..........
      drum role please..........
      BECAUSE WE CAN!
      Section 163 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 empowers a police constable in uniform or a traffic officer to stop a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road. End of.
      So the simple thing to remember is, you know if you are going to get a ticket, if this is the case you might as well argue, IF you feel justified, ie they haven't been following for 1/3 mile so they can't do you for speeding.
      If you aren't getting a ticket
      take what they say, say "thank you officer" and leave. Simple.
      Its no big deal, its no use giving it the "why are you not dealing with murders and rapists?" Not big and definitely not clever! they can always change their mind and give you a ticket!!

Just remember we are all human and we are just doing our job.
      Here endeth the lesson.
      PS we had a Smart marked car, no blue lights but still pretty cool!

Comment

If you get stopped: Be civil, be polite.

If you have done something wrong this might get you a telling off instead of points & a fine. If you have done nothing wrong (or don't think you have) then you'll be told why you have been stopped. If you disagree then say so, politely. They can always get you for something & if you p1ss them off they will.

The reason most coppers are b******s is because they deal with b******s all day long & they're sick of it! If you're just another b*****d giving them grief then why would they be nice to you? Would you?

Comment

I've never been stopped by the police, even with my illegal numberplates

Comment

Originally posted by StevRS View Post
            If you get stopped: Be civil, be polite...The reason most coppers are b******s is because they deal with b******s all day long & they're sick of it! If you're just another b*****d giving them grief then why would they be nice to you? Would you?
            I tend to agree...it gives me the wills that they can pull you over without a proper reason...but back to the topic of this thread...the point is to ask if you are being pulled over cos you are in a smart...and I believe the attention I get is because my car is unusual and they want to take a look and make sure its allowed to be on the road...and truth be told if someone other than a copper wants a look at your smart you'd be quick to stop and chat and tell them how great it is...no need to take it any differently with the police...just grin and bear it.

Comment

Ive been pulled once for blatting it away from the lights (wasnt actually speeding tho) I think it was more a case of young bloke in a fancy car, the guys that stopped me seemed more interested in asking me stuff about what the cars like

Comment

Originally posted by Fiona View Post
                37 actually unless the caution is upon charge or report when it is 35
                yea true, but you forgot to include the three words at the end (''do you understand'')

this can and has been a major problem in cases where individuals have not understood or been able to understand the meaning or implication of the police caution.

Comment

Originally posted by gorpork View Post
                  I tend to agree...it gives me the wills that they can pull you over without a proper reason.

But then so many a:censor: eholes would get away with it, whatever they were doing.

stopping a car for a small driving offence can lead a copper to a much more serious crime or even a drunk driver (not that they wouldn't notice a drunk driver anyway)
                  they could stop you for a faulty sidelight which miraculously fixed itself when they got you to stop. bulbs do that and then find you have been drinking
                  Last edited by PeterPiper; 21-05-07, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Answering the original post, never been pulled in my Smart

Comment

I have been informed by the police it is "illegal to not notify us when the car colour has been changed by a respray". I did the nice thing by explaining it was actually DVLA, and not the police that required being notified, then went on to educate them how the colouring of the vehicle is defined on a smart car for such purposes. At least they were honest and admitted they did not know about the panels being easy to swap and the tridion colour being used as the main base colour for the car, so smarts come in either black or silver, unless of course the owner has had a respray.

I own a blue, no, silver... grey... glassy type of colour!!! Too many pieces to choose from!

Comment

Originally posted by herbi1969 View Post
                        If you aren't getting a ticket
                        take what they say, say "thank you officer" and leave. Simple.
                        Its no big deal, its no use giving it the "why are you not dealing with murders and rapists?" Not big and definitely not clever! they can always change their mind and give you a ticket!!
                        For what??????

Comment

Originally posted by PeterPiper View Post
                          But then so many a:censor: eholes would get away with it, whatever they were doing.

stopping a car for a small driving offence can lead a copper to a much more serious crime or even a drunk driver (not that they wouldn't notice a drunk driver anyway)
                          they could stop you for a faulty sidelight which miraculously fixed itself when they got you to stop. bulbs do that and then find you have been drinking
                          Sorry pete i disagree with you there, a copper getting lucky doesn't justify a pull for no good reason in my opinion. Regardless of what the law is i think it's bang out of order.

Comment

Never been pulled (by the police), should of been many a time, but have thus far been charmed.

Comment

Originally posted by Landy View Post
                              For what??????
                              :silvertri
                              Sorry, let me explain, say you are stopped, the officer says you didn't have you're seat belt on.
                              You might as well say 'Sorry officer".
                              You might get off, or not as the case may be!
                              Denying the offence and then possibly exacerbating it by asking him to go chase proper criminals is asking for problems!!
                              By the by, no I've never been stopped in my Smart, loads on my Yamaha though.
                              PS
                              Ted Bundy was eventually caught by a road side stop for a broken light!
                              (Although he was driving a Beetle)

Comment

I know where your coming from, if i'm stopped for driving without a seatbelt (would never happen as i'm quite religious about putting that on) then it's a fair cop. If i'm pulled for no reason and they try and pin something on me then i'm not going to apologise for doing nothing and them being lying feltchers, goes against my principles!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X