No announcement yet.

Optimax Debate - Ultimate answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use shell optimax and wouldnt put in anything else. I get 320miles to the tank easily, performance is far better than normal petrol. The price you pay for it i feel justifies the extra performance and distance, and if it helps the up keep of engine then all the better.

Comment

I've been using the shell optimax so far with excellent mpg (although that's probably down to the type of journey I mainly do) - I've been looking for a cheaper superunleaded alternative and went to Tescos at H/pool hoping to fill up; they insisted they sold 4-star (?) so stayed clear. I looked up the 99RON amber nectar on their website, where they said it was only available dan-saf (:frown.

Do any of the north-eastern chaps/esses know of an alternative in the Teesside area ?

hobnob

Comment

i went to my local tesco petrol station and their super unleaded is only 97 ron

Comment

I've been paying close attention to the type of fuel I've been using and here are my thoughts..

YES it does make a noticeable difference to performance (more so than any other car I have had, currently I have the Roadster).

If I put in Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate after using 'supermarket' 95ron I instantly feel extra power when leaving the petrol station, even if the tank wasn't completly empty before.

The Shell Optimax seems a little smoother than the BP which feels a little 'rougher' but both produce a definate feel of extra power.. like I've gained an extra 5-10Bhp or something.

As for MPG I'm not sure, I haven't really measured it.. and if I did my driving is quite varied so it wouldn't be a fair test. If it does make a difference I don't think it's enough to compensate for the extra price.

However 90% of the time I do fill up with Optimax or BP Ultra because I like the extra power and I'm sure it's keeping the engine in better condition.. so I see it as an Investment in that respect.

Just my experience, your mileage may very!

Buster

Comment

I'm using the 99 RON Tesco stuff and performance and MPG are about the same as Optimax. It *does* feel as if the engine is more grunty in the higher revs as opposed to Optimax which seems more responsive lower down, but that's just a subjective observation.

Comment

Re: Optimax Debate - Ultimate answer

My mate is a bike mechanic, and says that it has been known to destroy bike engines. Mainly 2-Strokes for obvious reasons (The detergents remove the oil from the bore).

But over time, he says that using Optimax kills the engine by encouraging the bores to polish, and causing valves to not seal properly.

It's apparently pretty bad stuff if used in the long term. Might make your engine run cleaner and smoother, but it will kill it quicker!

Shell have apparently had a number of court cases over the years while they've been developing the fuel. And it still has a bad rep in some circles.

I agree it's worth paying more for Super unleaded (I use Tesco 99 - Dunno what it has in i though tbh!), but I have only used Optimax a couple of times - Felt the performance benefits, but wouldn't buy again unless I have to...

(As an aside - When I used Optimax my MPG lowered by almost 7! I was getting 36 on a motorway run as opposed to 42!)
              Last edited by blondster1983; 29-03-06, 03:35 PM.

Comment

I think your mate is confusing Optimax with Shell's earlier attempt at an 'up-market' petrol.

How long has Optimax been available?

Long term - how long is that?

Comment

My fortwo runs on standard regular grade fuel with no side effects whatsoever - look at it this way, if I'm in the middle of nowhere at 3 a.m. (has been known) and all there is service station wise is a hick operation with one pump I know i'm gonna be okay. Not so good for you Optimax boys tho'

Comment

I have found BP Ultimate to be slightly (but noticeably), better than Shell Optimax (performance wise). Don't know about the mpg.
                    I only drive the Roadster for pleasure.

I use neither BP or Shell, since getting my hands on Tesco 99 ron. This is noticeably better than both, performance wise.
                    Last edited by c6axe; 31-03-06, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X