Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster Brabus Exhaust Mod

Finally!
    I have completed my new mod on my new brabus exhaust now only done 9 miles: D

I must start by saying, I tried doing this myself for the 1st 20 min and gave up as my back was murder (i have a bad back) So my dad took over, and about 1.5 hours later all done!

Ok. . . So to do this you need:

Electric Drill
    Circular drill part (not sure what size, just so it fits in the pipes)
    A towel to kneel on

So my weapon of choice:

What the exhaust looked like before, ridiculous how they have blocked this exhaust up:

You need to be careful when putting the drill part inside not to scratch your lovely exhaust, once in start drilling!
    It took about 10-15 min to get the plate out!
    Take your time, as if you are too quick, you will go through and drill into the mesh behind the plate we are taking out. Which is bad i guess.

Take your time . . . be steady and it cut nicely.

Once it has cut it will not fall out, keep checking your progress every minute or 2.

Once cut as much as you can, wiggle the plate with some pliers for a few minutes and it will break free.

THEN - it will look like this

I took the car for a spin afterwards, straight away when firing it up, it’s allot deeper, sounds grunty.
    When driving, it does not drone. When you floor it, it’s not too deep, it’s the same as it was just louder, and sounds like it’s got a real nice grunt. However, my exhaust has only done 9 miles so will take a few hundred miles for it to take proper affect.

Power wise, im allmost cetain it felt quicker and more responsive, but like I said exhaust has only done 9 miles so I will keep you all posted.

Hope this helps!

Re: Roadster Brabus Exhaust Mod

hope you don't need to take it in for any warranty claim on your exhaust!

Comment

Nah, in about 100 miles all that will be black and you wont see nothing anyway. They'l never know lol.

Comment

Do you think Brabus have designed it this way purely to keep the noise down? Or is there some sort of technical reason such as producing back pressure?

Comment

I think it must be noise / emissions. The difference its made in noise its rather radical, its a different tone and sounds deep / Grunty. Turbo engines dont usually like back pressure, however I wouldnt know in the Roadsters little turbo.
          However when driving it, definately did feel more responsive, I need to take it out for a long drive and let it all warm up. Exhaust has not worn in yet either.
          I think I will feel more benefit when I've completed my custom intake, fuel regulator, and some other bits and bobs including re-map.

Comment

Originally posted by smart_jimmy View Post
            I think it must be noise / emissions
            Lets hope not in case it causes an MOT failure!

Comment

But the exhaust has a built in cat? I doubt it will but time will tell.

Comment

Excellent write up and thanks for taking the time to post the images, but to perform that kind of surgery on your car without really knowing what will happen is a bit risky if you ask me.

I generally work under the assumption that Smart/Brabus know a lot more about engine design and exhaust systems than I do.

Comment

I've not heard of any problems from the people who have done this previously.
                  Good mod plus you can see the inside of the can glowing at night when you drive behind it.

Comment

Well, someone had to take the risk! I read the old post on this which I think was couple of years ago, and no one really come back and said they had done it and this is what happened. . . Or what it looks like.
                    So thought I’d take the plunge and crack on with it myself. All seems fine so far, nice and smooth / responsive, sounds good I appreciate all your input.

Comment

Good "how to". Looks nice. I like the idea about the glow.

Comment

I can't see any problems doing this mod, you're only taking out the noise baffle.

Comment

Gret guide, just did this mod last week on my Brabus Exhasut and it was well easy and took under 15 minutes for both sides

Its now ever so slightly louder (only a little bit) and not sure if its phycological, but feels more responsive :silvertri

If its any use to any one, you need a 30mm Bi-Metal holesaw, Holesaw Arbour (the drill bit the holesaw screws onto), drill and a small drill bit to make a guide hole. Dont use the cheap holesaws as you need one thats suitable for metal.

If you drill a small hole dead centre of the three hole triangle, you can use this as the start point for the Arbour and then you get a neat and accurate finish. You dont need pliars either as the extracted metal circle stays on the Arbour, then job done

Comment

good write up,
                            thanks for that, will be a 1st on the list once we find a brabus!

Rich

Comment

This might sound a bit silly, but has anyone done this on a for2 brabby exhaust?
                              I'd like to do this to mine. The cars warranty ran out in Dec just gone so won't have any warranty issues, but don't wanna kill my exhaust

Alan :silvertri

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X