Interior door handle cable change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior door handle cable change

Recently I had cause to change my interior door handle cable.

The symptoms of its failure where:

1. lock mechanism not closing preventing the mechanism from closing and keeping the door shut

2. rough operation of the interior door handle prior to failure

Here are my experiences and rather poor pictures of the operation. Sorry but it was cold and I needed it fixed so I didn't spend much time trying to document the job:

Step 1

Follow the Evilution guides to removing the exterior door panel by clicking here

Then, follow the Evilution guide to removing the interior door card by clicking here

Step 2

Follow the Evilution guide to removing the exterior door handle by clicking here and following the guide up to the point where the handle is removed from the door

Step 3

Pull on the interior door handle and (working from underneath it, prise out the metal ball on the end of the door handle cable.

Now this is where I'll get a bit bland in my direction as I couldn't get a picture of it...

With the interior handle detached from the cable, you should see the ball end of the cable presenting upwards towards the rear of the handle from a small square black plastic housing on the end of the insulation on the cable. This black plastic square resides on a plastic curve that brings the cable up towards the handle on the inside of the door without putting stress or kinks in it.

The plastic square actually clips in to the interior door handle to keep the cable in place. You can unclip this end of the cable by GENTLY pushing the black plastic housing to the left towards a recess cut in to the handle. The cable will then fall away inside the door. Job done...at this end.

Step 4

Unclip the cable in the middle of the interior of the door. Its secured to the rest of the door card panel using a press on metal clip that also secures some wiring. KEEP THE CLIP! You'll need it when replacing the new cable.

With the cable hanging loose inside the door secured only to the door lock end, its time to get it off door lock end.

Start by undoing the two Torx bolts securing the lock mechanism from inside the door:

and then the three bolts of the same size (think its T40) that secure the door lock mechanism from the exterior door panel side of the door:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2079/...d4a4088a35.jpg

The lock mechanism will now be sitting loose inside the door but it wont pull away from the door straight away as its tucked in behind a part of the door assembly. Lift the mechanism up within the door until it can't travel any further (constrained by central locking wiring):

You should then be able to gently persuade it out of its resting place within the door.

Bring the mechanism away from the door and expose its rear. Watch out for the central locking wiring! You'll see the following:

Unclip the black insulation at the end of the cable sheath from the locking mechanism. Then, unhook the cable end from the locking mechanism.

You can then pull the cable through into the centre of the door and retrieve both ends and bring it away from the car.

That's the cable out! As it's now 3.54AM and I'm tired, all I'll say is that assembly is pretty much the reverse of steps 1-4 but:

watch out when you are clipping the new cable back in to the interior handle. The black plastic square at the end of the curve that presents to the interior handle clips in to the handle itself. It will break if you attempt to give it too much force while clipping it in. I broke it first time round

When bolting the door mechanism back in to the door, do all the bolts up finger tight first to check that the door lock striker closes smoothly against the locking mechanism. When that's the case, you can go ahead and tighten the bolts up.

Take the opportunity to lube the new cable at both ends with a decent spray lube like some white lithium grease.
    Last edited by kayble; 01-02-08, 10:04 AM.

Re: Interior door handle cable change

YOur guide is spot on! the only thing is i cant take the flippin screws out that hold on the door lock! got 2 out, the other 3 wont budge. Thankfully ive called in my strong right wing man! Smartandy to the rescue!! hehe i hope!

Comment

Stevie,

That's nice to know...feel free to give rep'

Have you got the new cable in on the interior door handle end? I'm sorry I couldn't get any pics or more descriptive text but it was such an awkward fitment to describe or picure!

EDIT: Just watch out when you come to clipping the new cable in on the interior handle end. The black plastic square on the end of the curve clips in to the handle but don't force it to much as you'll snap the square off the end of the curve.
      Last edited by kayble; 24-03-08, 04:36 PM.

Comment

You have feedback!

I noticed about what you said about that. Took me a little while to see what to do. My old cable plastic had snapped just after the square bit you mentioned. Will try take a picture when reassembling to add to this post

Comment

Originally posted by kayble View Post
          EDIT: Just watch out when you come to clipping the new cable in on the interior handle end. The black plastic square on the end of the curve clips in to the handle but don't force it to much as you'll snap the square off the end of the curve.
          :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor:

Comment

No......you've broken it haven't you?!

Comment

what gave it away...???

Big thanks to smartandy who came to my rescue and got those damn bolts that hold the lock in place out!
              Last edited by superstevie; 24-03-08, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

i'm about to do this job and the descriptions about sqaure bits and curved bits are a lot clearer when you've seen the replacement part: so here's a picture for the benefit of others!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20561828@N00/2900986341/

thanks

slip

Comment

Originally posted by slippyr4 View Post
                  Hi all,

i'm about to do this job and the descriptions about sqaure bits and curved bits are a lot clearer when you've seen the replacement part: so here's a picture for the benefit of others!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20561828@N00/2900986341/

thanks

slip
                  nice one

Comment

HI,

i need to change the interior cable as the plastic curve has snapped does any one know if there is a replacement plastic curve available or will this come with the cable????

Comment

Originally posted by perreh27 View Post
                      HI,

i need to change the interior cable as the plastic curve has snapped does any one know if there is a replacement plastic curve available or will this come with the cable????
                      As far as I can remember, its an integral part of the cable part so you'd need to order the cable.

Comment

Okay guys what happens, if i cant open the door by either the inside or outside handles therby making the panel impossible to remove

Ive got into the panel from the inside, but the interior cable wont open it, neither will the little bit of exterior handle cable that I'm able to access.

Really stuck now!

Comment

Originally posted by P22NTS View Post
                          Okay guys what happens, if i cant open the door by either the inside or outside handles therby making the panel impossible to remove

Ive got into the panel from the inside, but the interior cable wont open it, neither will the little bit of exterior handle cable that I'm able to access.

Really stuck now!
                          You can pop the exterior panel off without opening the door, there's a guide on fq101.co.uk

Comment

Cheers Mr Poo,

Patience got the better of me however, and i found that smashing the hell out of the door eventually did the job. Now have two broken handles and busted cables, snapped catched on the interior panel.

But the good news is the door is now open!!

LOL

Probably just needed a good greasing, but hey ho

Comment

Didn't realise you had made that much damage Steve.....well at least you know where to get the bits from now!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X