running issues and struggling to climb hills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running issues and struggling to climb hills

hi just bought a smart car. Driving home i could not get up hills. There is a leak on the exhaust manifold. would this cause an issue with loss of power? I had an engine management light on also which said misfire cylinder 1. Could this also be due to the leaking manifold

thanks in advance

it sounds like the engine is due a rebuild

Comment

If you bought it from a dealer, take it back and reject it

If you bought it private, you don't have much other option than to suck it up and have whatever work that's needed, done.
      That MIGHT not be as severe as a full rebuild, COULD be ht leads and duff plugs (if it's pre 2007, then note/remember it has six plugs), also COULD be a number of other things contributing including the turbo/manifold.
      But it COULD be as severe as a full engine rebuild.

Don't let diagnostics lead you down the garden path.
      The misfire may actually be a misfire due to poor spark, but it could just be collateral damage from a very poorly/sick compression.
      Last edited by 10:45PM; 20-02-16, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Take it back - demand a refund. Even if it's private sale, if the seller is genuine they should be willing to take it back.

You probably have found the reason why it was for sale in the first place - and unless you have £1500 or so for new turbo and engine rebuild (assuming it's a 450?), and you paid £1500 less than the market value for the car (i.e. £500 or less) then you have very likely bought a "pup" I'm afraid.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X