ForTwo Brabus exhaust suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ForTwo Brabus exhaust suggestions?

I have a ForTwo Brabus (2011 on a 60 plate) and the flexible hose between the CAT and the exhaust has broken. As the genuine Smart part is very expensive, I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a non-Smart replacement?
    It was a complete bugger to get off. Apart from having to take half the car apart to get at it (well, it felt like that!) I could not undo either of the bolts holding it to the CAT, and eventually had to sheer them using a chisel and brute force ignorance. Not a job for the feint hearted!
    Also, as I have managed to remove the welded retained bolts on the CAT bracket, can anyone suggest what type of nuts and bolts I should use? In the olden days (I am of a "certain age") when I were a lad, exhausts always seemed to use steel studs and brass nuts. Anyone know why? Can you use stainless steel?
    Thanks for any help and advice...

Is what you've got left still repairable?
    Got any pics?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/25211...&ul_noapp=true

Comment

I think it is repairable, I am going to investigate tomorrow (Bank Holiday today). Photos attached. Thanks for your advice!
      Attached Files

Comment

That is a toroidal expansion joint. Commonly used in exhausts. Widely available.

Comment

Excellent news, thank you Tolsen. Just in case, can anyone recommend a third party replacement, as Mercedes prices are insane!. Looking on Ebay most of the exhaust pictured have the wrong inlet pipe fittings, I think they may be for a regular ForTwo...

Comment

Aftermarket exhaust are poorly made and noisy. Fix your broken exhaust instead. TIG weld on a new flexible joint.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
              Aftermarket exhaust are poorly made and noisy.
              Have you any evidence at all for this sweeping and dismissive statement?!

Maybe you've done a test report and tried every aftermarket exhaust out there.......

Comment

I have tried a few and that is my conclusion. OEM is always better made and overall good value.
                Example:. My 2002 Smart 450 still runs on its original exhaust. No aftermarket exhaust will last 14 years and 200k.

Comment

Why would you have 'tried a few' when your original is still working? (despite you omitting to say you've undoubtedly repaired it at one stage or two)

Comment

Originally posted by 10:45PM View Post
                    Why would you have 'tried a few' when your original is still working? (despite you omitting to say you've undoubtedly repaired it at one stage or two)
                    Have tested several after market exhausts on other petrol Smart 450 not belonging to me. Different makes of aftermarket exhausts. Rather poorly made and particularly loud. The owners opted for the original Smart exhaust in the end. The aftermarket exhaust were scrapped. Scrap is what most aftermarket exhaust are - just useless scrap, basta!

Even the overpriced stainless steel ones are bad. Poor TIG welds, too thin wall and develop cracks. All very loud.

Comment

OK, Thanks Tolsen, I cobbled the exhaust together (amazing what you van do with a baby food tin), loosely fitted the rear went to a local exhaust place, found a guy with a can-do attitude, and he did do! He cut the stainless toroidal joint out of a stock exhaust, and welded it in place. It makes me think this has been going for a long time as it seems much quieter, I actually heard the waste gate when I floored it, which I don't think I have before! Charged me £60 and saved me a wad!
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have just fitted a smarts4you racing exhaust to my 451 brabus and it is very well made.
                        Definitely alot louder than the factory one, but it's only really noticeable on full throttle.
                        The power band is better aswell, after 5500rpm with the factory exhaust the power would start to drop off, but now it keeps going to 7000rpm.

I will be selling my original brabus exhaust soon if anyone is interested.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Cool stuff guys

Comment

Quick video of the smarts4you racing exhaust.
                            I'll get a video of it popping between gear changes soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGzt5jTi7zZ/

Comment

This one isnt a Lidle quality and you havent tested it ,mr Tolsen.
                              One of the best aftermarket exhaust.
                              The S-mann exhaust!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X