Monday - Friday 8.45am - 6.00pm
    Saturday 9.00am - 5.00pm
    Sunday 11.00am - 4.00pm

Opening hours: After Sales
    Monday - Friday 7.30am - 6.30pm
    Saturday 8.00am - 1.00pm
    Sunday closed

Re: smart of Reading

Not originally being a great advocate of smart of reading (due to the sales woman not calling me back about buying a brabus roadster), my latest experience was somewhat mixed.

I took the old new roadster in to get the interior handle fixed (it had stopped functioning), which they did but also, since they had to remove the panel, the car immediately came back a leaker.... this was shocking, and I was seriously unimpressed. :censor:

However, I am now in my new new roadster, and I had to take the car in to get my 'automatic door opening' function sorted.
    I was very disappointed to hear the line 'Thats not something we have heard of'. simply because you can look on ANY of the forums and see the issue!!
    Nevertheless, I told him the fix, and he went away.

I got my call, all done, (moved the striking plate), and also did this handbrake 'recall' which I was very quick to correct him on.
    and they also washed and valeted the car for me.

My only gripe is that with the hardtop on, my window doesn't shut properly when you close the door... so they kindly filled my car with water :eek: so it's in a permanent state of steaming.

Nevertheless I gave them a thumbs up becuase there is no intermediary, and I didn't think it was bad enough for a thumbs down!!

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

Yup - they mess me around for parts like you wouldnt beleive.....
      Still prefer Smart of Beaconsfield though but Reading is only a stones throw away - and you never know.... they might get better.. :tongue: :tongue:

Comment

They're getting a thumbs down this time.

Albeit they fixed my air-con, they haven't cured my engine ticking (I suspect they haven't tried)... but they also took a chunk out of one of my alloys
        Oh and in EXACTLY the same vain as before... they filled the car with water again, so the bloody thing is steaming up like mad again.... but at least my air-con works to clear it

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

Well I'm not that impressed:
          1. For one thing, my car had broken springs, only just out of warranty, took it to Smart in Reading and asked to make an ESKULAB claim - after hearing about it on these forums - told them that I knew it was a known fault, they put claim in and claim was flat out denied and apparently Smart in Reading had advised whoever processes the claim that it wasn't a common problem!!

2. Second service (yes, I actually went back after that first problem) - they apparently failed to notice the huge problem that I've got with my brakes until I took the car back to them saying I wasn't happy that the service hadn't picked up on the brakes - took the car out with the engineer and he then noticed the problem before we even left the car park. I just don't get this - did they not test the brakes the first time or is there some secret reason why they didn't want to raise the issue of the brakes? It's a mystery, but either way they're rubbish!

3. They've just quoted £2,000 to fix my brakes. Seems hard to believe that that price is anything but extortionate!

Comment

£2000 to fix brakes, there is something not right about all of this, its as if the garages have got together and said f--k the smart.

Comment

I think your right mate. I was advised to move my Smart on due to a misfire and buy a Ford KA or some thing simular by Mercedes Oxford.

Comment

Hi,

I had a problem recently with my 4-2 that needed quick attention. Basically having recently changed the spark plugs, it would shut down a cylinder if you revved it above 4k. I double checked everything and even put back the original plugs to no avail.

Feeling rather stupid I rang around a few dealers for some help.

Smart Reading were the only one able to fit me in the same day. I arrived at the agreed time and after a while they diagnosed the cylinder in question and the most likely cause was the HT leads.

After we agreed to change the lead, they then proceeded with the work to discover that the upper leads were all in poor shape, most likely due to someone previously not using the correct tool to remove the leads (very annoying as only 1 place had changed the plugs before me and they only changed 3 of them hence me needing to change the plugs !!).

Long story short we agreed it's best to change all 6 of them, again all straight away on the day rather than having to wait for a future appointment or parts to be ordered.

Then further bad news, there was a pipe for the LPG system that wasn't properly connected (vacuum pipe) and to resolve it would need the manifold removing.

All in I was there from 10:30 to 5PM.

The good bits:

Very fast and attentive to resolving the problems as in on the same day.

Kept up to date and no work done without proper explanation.

Not at all snobby about the aftermarket LPG system, other dealers have been.

They fixed the problem and the car runs very well.

They spotted the fault with the LPG pipe and they spotted a faulty bulb, good attention to detail.

They only charged me for 1.5 hours labour which is fantastic as they were working on the car for longer than that.

The parts prices were very reasonable, £39 for all 6 leads.

Bad bits:

Not their fault but one thing led to another so I was stuck there for a long time, not much to do round that part of Reading.

All in I must say I was pleasantly surprised, most main dealers are a bit remote and dare I say superior, these guys were not, they were friendly, reasonably priced and attentive. Best of all the car runs like a dream now and from speaking to them there are no other obvious things at fault which is great to know.

Comment

wow, they must have had a turnover of staff

Comment

I was thinking exactly that! My experience of Smart of Reading was somewhat average. They diagnosed my car as having a faulty SAM unit over a year ago and over 30,000 miles later I'm still on the same SAM unit and the car is working (mostly) fine.

One guy there was very good. One guy there was a total waste of space. If it's of interest, the Greenoaks group (of which Reading are a part) have a poor reputation as Mercedes-Benz dealers too. I now take my business for both my Mercedes and my Smart to Tony Purslow Mercedes-Benz/Smart in Basingstoke.

Comment

I was expecting to get the run around, but as I needed the car for a long run later today I was a bit stuck. My plan was to get a diagnosis as to what cylinder was shutting down and take it from there, maybe buying the parts and fitting them myself.

Anyway it was a surprise, I was ready to face a battle having read the comments here but things worked out. Maybe someone will get fired if they find out they have happy customer !!

Ah well, just telling you guys what happened, hope it all holds up now I've had enough hassle with cars these past 2 weeks. Hoping all is sorted now.

Comment

Thumbs down after Replacing alloys and attempting to rip me off for not doing a geometry check and alignment properly

http://www.smartmaniacs.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=59221

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X