X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to 'Tube' / Convoy

Originally posted by smartsparky View Post
    Convoys involve a succession of cars heading from one destination to the next. Within the smart world this phenomenon is known as 'Tubing'. For those who are thinking: "What on earth is a 'tube'?" then the answer is simply this. smarts are also known as 'smarties' and where are a whole load of smarties seen in one place? In a tube of course. Hence a 'tube of smarties'. If someone can tell me the name of the person who coined this phrase then I will buy them a drink. (The person who actually coined the phase is exempt from this offer. Sorry!)

When travelling in a convoy / tube, there are some key factors which are important, both for the safety and security of yourselves and others.
    • Success: A successful convoy / tube occurs when ALL smarts are together without significant gaps occupied by other cars.

• Failure: An unsuccessful convoy occurs when people get so badly separated that some get lost and spend the majority of the event trying to find everybody else before even arriving at the venue.

• Organisation: When starting off on a convoy / tube, it is a good idea to plan who is going to lead, be halfway and be at the rear. These people should all have a clear understanding of the route ahead, either through knowledge or through Sat-Nav. If you have Sat-Nav, bring it to the event. Radios are also important (see below). If you are going to be regulars on smart convoys / tubes it might be worth purchasing one or both of these items to aid you on your way. At the discretion of all people travelling, it might be worth exchanging mobile phone numbers prior to starting, in case of emergencies.

• Be Aware: When on the convoy / tube ALWAYS look out for the person behind you. As soon as that person gets held up, you must ease off and try to allow them to catch up. In this way, the person ahead of you will be doing the same etc...etc...

• Lost cars: If you get separated and you are in an unknown area, find a space that is safe to pull over and allow people to catch up. Don't be a hero and zoom off ahead. If pulling into a lay-by, try to allow enough room for all the people traveling with you.

• Radios: Walkie-talkie radios are invaluable in these situations. Information can easily be transmitted down through the convoy / tube. They are legal to use providing you use them in accordance with specific manufacturers' instructions. The default channel utilised by smart clubs is 5.5 (channel 5, sub-channel 5). Obviously this can be changed, but please be aware that in some EU countries, some channels are not allowed for such use! If changing channel / sub-channel, notify all people within the convoy / tube before leaving...for obvious reasons.

• Breaking the Convoy / Tube: Okay, you want to go for a bit of a burn rather than plodding along with everyone else. Fine! Just make sure you don't do it when someone behind is dependent on you for directions! So long as they can see the person in front of you then you can do what you like.

• Insurance: Be very careful with this one as a number of insurance companies will not look favourably on any claim made if travelling within a convoy / tube. Remember to be VERY careful at all times.

• Other Road Users: Yes, other people do need to use the same roads and highways as you do. Remember, people will get frustrated if they encounter a convoy. People pulling out of side roads is a particularly high risk area as most people travelling on the convoy / tube will be reluctant to let them out! So, please be patient and try to empathise with other road users.

• And Finally: Be safe! We are all bound by the laws of public road use which we must respect at all times. There is no excuse for breaking the law.

This is not meant to be a 'preach', but it might help to avoid some of the problems that have occurred at recent events.

Happy smarting! :silvertri :silvertri :silvertri :silvertri :silvertri :silvertri :silvertri
    Oh, thanks Smartsparky for that this info comes an enormous relief to me as I gently approached the subject to hubby over breakfast this morning:p (he muttered something that he wasn't sure what it was, but that it would be fun to go and find out....:p:p).

..Bit at mo...just been told we have to wait another week or so for our babe to be delivered...it's not fair!! I want her NOW!:frown:

..We will endevour to study the tubing guide so that we know what to do when the times comes...don't want to be accused of bad tubing eh?

Cheers x

Comment

Originally posted by magnet View Post
      I think this was Jules et al many years ago. I'm sure we all discussed this at an Essex meet "46 mixed grills" ago (almost 4 years).
      Never sure who came up with calling it a tube but Polkadot had always called it that. Handy post for anybody doing the M25 run for the first time

Comment

Also helps if the very last smart has it's headlights on so the 1st smart can see the end of the tube.

Comment

Originally posted by s2trash View Post
          Never sure who came up with calling it a tube but Polkadot had always called it that.
          No it was definitely me - honest.

I wont be remembered for much after my demise but that I will be remembered for

I also tried to get folks to refer to a car park of smarts an 'academia' but think that went over too many peoples heads to be accepted

Jenny

Comment

It Simply Has To Be

"a Tube Of Smarties"
            I reject your reality and substitute my own

Proud to be a Smartie and very proud to have been married to a lovely lady.

This Moderator is ME

Comment

Originally posted by 27lennie. View Post
              Also helps if the very last smart has it's headlights on so the 1st smart can see the end of the tube.
              Absolutely. Even easier if they have HIDs!

@JamesMackB

Comment

Absolutely. Even easier if they have HIDs!
                Lol, it is very useful to see the end car - especially if they're falling behind.

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

Actually, the hid's make a big difference. I could always tell where Justin was on the run to the coast.

Comment

May I suggest a simple back up plan which will help with 'super tubes' where there is no way you can see the rearguard car!

The Canterbury trip was great but the 40+ strong tube was a nightmarel - and the northern super tube to Brooklands already has 50ish confirmed registrations.

You need a simple comms system which everyone knows :-

Flash your lights 3 seconds off, 3 on - convoy needs to pull over
                    3 quick flashs - convoy must slow down / can speed up (it's obvious which)

Really simple but can take care of most situations.

A good convoy only ever has 3 speeds - stop, slow (usually 30) and the speed limit

Normally the rear guard 'controls' the convoy by radioing the lead car but Radios pack up, lose signal and not all cars will have one, and passing messages QUICKLY by mobile is not an option.

I don't give a rat's a**e which pattern of flashing lights we use, providing we all agree on it, in the same way as we use 5.5 as the Smartie channel.

Comment

And just to follow on from the Canterbury meet points, remember: when driving in the UK 18 smarts are NOT allowed to stop on the hard-shoulder of the M20 and get out and chat!! mg:

I think that the main point that has come out of all of this is to look out and BE RESPONSIBLE for yourself and the person behind you.

@JamesMackB

Comment

IIRC, The M20 'car park' incident came about because of a combination of factors ,the 3 main ones being :-

1. Several drivers did not slow up to help the guy behind catch up
                        2. Roundabouts confuse continental drivers ( not many in mainland Europe)
                        3. The french with with radios didn't always keep the others in the loop.

Generally the french were really nervous about driving in England and some focused more on keeping up with the leader than following protocol.

They stopped at the roundabout because the new 'lead car' wouldn't risk pulling out into traffic, couldn't see where they went and wanted to ask directions from someone else!

(BTW, There's a technique to letting all the cars out at a busy roundabout)

Comment

And just to follow on from the Canterbury meet points, remember: when driving in the UK 18 smarts are NOT allowed to stop on the hard-shoulder of the M20 and get out and chat!! mg:

I think that the main point that has come out of all of this is to look out and BE RESPONSIBLE for yourself and the person behind you.
                          thats why we kept going !!! the other problem we had was the french car that was following me would never close up anymore than about 300-400 meters even if we stopped and waited , they would pull over still leaving a couple of hundred meter gap which why we got seperated from them !!!!!
                          think they where also trying to use their sat navs which wanted to take them another route so they didnt actually want to follow at all ???????

Comment

Putzie, I think the French do sometimes look at this forum as well!

@JamesMackB

Comment

well once we was on the m20 you have to keep going reguardless of wheter the car behind has followed or not !!!!!

Comment

2. Roundabouts confuse continental drivers (not many in mainland Europe)
                                Hmmmmm not from our experiences - they have them, but just go around a different way

Jenny

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X