X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to 'Tube' / Convoy

Originally posted by ManM View Post
    Hmmmmm not from our experiences - they have them, but just go around a different way

Jenny
    Quite apart from stating the obvious, which part of Europe have you worked in where they are anything like as prolific as the UK?

I can think of 4 major german cities where you couldn't have found a single roundabout in the mid 90's - though I concede the possibilty they might have started using them since ( unlikely, knowing the germans)

The same holds true of Luxembourg, Belgium and northern france, (with one horrible exception!) though I can't comment on the tourist areas of the meditterrean.

Comment

There are a good few roundabouts near smartville. Although you can't really go wrong as you are forced on to them in a particular way...like ours in the UK.

@JamesMackB

Comment

if you think europeans have trouble with roundabouts you wanna see what happens when one suddenly appears in just outside new york , we had quite a laugh watching the locals driving up to it with total confusion written on their faces and then cant work out which way to look or giveway to and then drive !!! and thats before they even have gears to deal with as well lmao!!!!

Comment

The technique for the roundabouts depends on the lead car being brave enough to go around several times

Will double check on the legality of the tube at work, cant think if anything that springs to mind to make it illegal

Comment

thought its not got to be bigger than 19 cars without notifying the police?

Comment

But I cant see why, I might be wrong but as long as the rules of the road are adhered to, there is nothing to make it illegal

Comment

Just been on to The Police National Legal Database FAQs and put in Convoy.... Nothing came back. From that I suppose that it is just normal rules of the road but I am still worried about 40+ cars in a tube TBH.

They do have roundabouts in France BTW - lots of them

Comment

Exactly MG, there is nothing to say cars cant drive in convoy...............large convoys of trucks are illegal purely because of their sheer size impeding peoples view. Cars on the other hand are completely different. Its no different to a large tail back of cars leaving a venue after a concert/sports match etc.

Just stick to the rules of the road and we will be fine. I will confirm this tomorrow, but I am thinking that I am right (no change there then )

Comment

Originally posted by Taffdan View Post
                    The technique for the roundabouts depends on the lead car being brave enough to go around several times
                    The lead car can't necessarily judge if there's a bottleneck behind him, particularly making a right turn after coming off a sliproad.

Any one who's 'brave enough to do it' and remembers which is the right turn off should give it a go.

P.S theere's nothing more annoying than creating a gap for someone who then just sits there and watches you drive past!

Comment

Originally posted by miami gulf View Post
                      They do have roundabouts in France BTW - lots of them
                      and Germany & Austria & Switzerland and Belgium and well everywhere. I can confirm this as at last year when we 'did' the smart times in Austria and travelled through all of these countries on our extended holiday in the toaster
                      Jenny

Comment

The technique for the roundabouts depends on the lead car being brave enough to go around several times and great fun it is too.

Done this plenty of times when tubing with smarts, usually to bystanders and other road users amusement

Comment

LOL..........................

OK had it confirmed today that we only need to notify the authorities if we are talking in excess of 70 cars. We have to behave within the rules of the road obviously, but there are no specific laws against "convoys" of cars. Thats why they allow legalised cruising at events.

Comment

We did this on our first Wales run with NW Smarties. we ended up with everyone but the guy at the head (cap?) of the tube going round the roundabout. Then we all peeled off smoothly one after the other and headed off.

Comment

Did someone say smart car tube ? Well what about a Tube smart car then ??

Or a tube of smart cars ?
                              Last edited by NBC; 17-01-12, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X