Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WirralSmarts drive: Kew to Hoylake 04.05.2015

Heya Everyone!

I am planning a drive from Kew, just outside of Southport to the Hoylake Parade on the Wirral via the "long way" around the Mersey (passing close to St. Helens and Warrington) on the 4th of May (which is a Bank Holiday). We'll be going through the Lancashire countryside, passing over the Mersey near Warrington to avoid the Runcorn bridge and all the expressway mess there and then progressing through more Cheshire countryside before thundering up the west side of Wirral to finish at Hoylake, where we can get something to eat.

If the weather is good, we may also stop off to allow people to get some photos of the scenery (as well as the cars!) if you want. We will start from the Kew Retail Park at/around 10am so we would meet up in the Cafe at the Tesco in the retail park.

Please let me know if you are interested in coming along (I promise it won't be like last time!). Try and spread the word on this too (Facebook, other forums etc), see how many come along.

Hope to see you there!
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 23-03-15, 11:03 AM.

I've been plotting the route for this drive (and will be doing a dummy run tonight) but we appear to have two options.
    1. Jump on the M6 at Junction 21 to go over the Thelwall Viaduct and then get off at Junction 20.
    2. Go over the Warburton Bridge further up the Manchester Canal. Its slower and there is a toll (12p!) but looks a lot nicer to go through.
    Anyone got any preference on this? I don't mind either way although if it is going to be a scenic drives, the toll bridge makes more sense IMHO.

Comment

May be up for this, not sure what I'm up to yet though.

Comment

• Ocracoke
        Ocracoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Would be great if you could come!

Can't make, wife's family visiting from Grimsby.

Comment

Got an eye on Gaydon in July, sounds interesting. Apparently 70+ Smarts there last year.

Comment

Originally posted by fortwo long View Post
          Got an eye on Gaydon in July, sounds interesting. Apparently 70+ Smarts there last year.
          There were at least that many (myself included). Good event last year, as the photos show:

http://ocracoke.tk/photos/Gaydon_16082014/

Can't make, wife's family visiting from Grimsby.
          Ah, well hope to see you soon!

Comment

• fortwo long
            fortwo long commented
            Editing a comment
            Good pics! Think worth a trip down...... My wife's sister usually brings her family and Mum over on a Bank Holiday. Enjoy the day and hopefully u get a good tube going!!

2 weeks to go! Please remember to invite as many Smart owners as you can!

I've done a dummy ran the two parts of the run and the toll bridge makes sense despite a bit of a detour. Therefore, please remember to bring 12p with you for the bridge.

Comment

Final week to go!

I've changed the route to avoid the A57 as much as possible and am now much happier with it having done a complete dummy run. Again, as we are going over the Warburton Bridge, please remember to bring 12p with you. Those coming in Roadsters may have a problem with reaching the booth but I don't think it will be a issue.

Just to remind everyone, the start time is around 10am (ish) from the Tesco in Kew, Southport (PR8 5JH). We will be meeting in the Cafe, which is upstairs.

Comment

Well, how did you get on??

Comment

Well, how did you get on??
                It was OK. In the end, only three cars ran (which is hardly a tube but better than just me). The weather held out though and it was, on the whole, a good day out although they said it was rather long, so the next one I'll be putting on will be a lot shorter. My lasting memory is a maniac van driver who forced me into the hatch markings as I was going to turn right.

Comment

Sadly. In order to raise some quick funds my Smartcar been traded :-( All the best in your future Smart adventures. Was nice meeting u both.

Comment

Sadly. In order to raise some quick funds my Smartcar been traded :-( All the best in your future Smart adventures. Was nice meeting u both.
                    Oh no, I am sorry to hear that. Hope to see you around!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X