Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of buying a ForFour - Which is the best one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying a ForFour - Which is the best one?

Hi all. I've owned hundreds of Fortwos and know them quite well. I need a 4 door car really and was thinking of a ForFour....

What should I be looking for and what should I avoid and which engine is the best.... I do max 10k miles a year.

Thanks

Re: Thinking of buying a ForFour - Which is the best one?

Does that 10k include many motorway miles? If yes, your best bet may be the 1.5 cdi (in either a 68bhp or a 95bhp but the latter seems favoured). If you do mostly town miles, a 1.1 or a 1.3 might do (though I've no experience of those engines, only the 1.5 petrol, which was not terrible around town but would prefer to be on the motorway). While I had no gripes with the semi-automatic gearbox I had in my 1.5 petrol Passion, I've heard some tales of woe with it so if that does bother you, get a manual.

As far as spec goes, do try and get the panoramic roof at least, that lights up the car no end. Also (this was personal preference), get one with a mutli-function steering wheel as the speedo with it came with a MPG meter and other such toys (certainly mine did).

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 02-03-14, 06:58 PM. Reason: Formatting

Comment

To be honest all the engines are excellent but as previously mentioned it really depends on what sort of driving you do. Ive owned both a 1.1 and a 1.3, both very good. The rest is just down to spec and preference such as air con and panoramic roof. Whatever you decide to get you wont be disappointed!

If your after a well looked after brabus there are a few for sale over at forfour.co.uk which is also a gold mine of info and guides

Comment

They are all ****. Get a Golf and you won't be disappointed.

Seriously, why else do you think they stopped selling them after barely two years?

Comment

Because forfours had a high sale price for its class, i've never heard anyone complain about one, even top gear loved it back in the day, only the price was criticised

I you want a boring golf and want to pay double then go ahead

Comment

As it happens I'm selling mine. I haven't advertised it yet but it's an 06 1.1l Passion (manual) in black with silver Tridion. PM me if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by swissheavy View Post
              Seriously, why else do you think they stopped selling them after barely two years?
              Something to do with the market rather than the quality of the car. I found mine very enjoyable to own and never had any issues. Just a pity that there's been nothing to replace them in the Smart stable until (maybe) this year.

Comment

Originally posted by swissheavy View Post
                They are all ****. Get a Golf and you won't be disappointed.

that is the BIGGEST load of poo iv herd!

have you got any claims to back up why they are tihs? whats to say a Golf wont be ****? in the 2 years it was in production there was ONLY 1 recall which affected about 45 cars in total, i bet a Golf has had more recalls in 2 years which has affected more than 45 cars.

iv had my 1.1 for 4 years, it had 69,000 miles on the clock when i bought it when it was 5 years old and its now done 113333 miles and iv had no problems with it.
                in the time iv had it all iv done is service it, fit new tyres and brakes and that's it!

i work in York and live in Leeds and my 1.1 keeps up with traffic on the A64, yes its a little under powered when its carrying a full load but its nothing a quick shuffle of the gears wont sort out.

the forfour is a VERY reliable car and the engines are bullet proof, yes your going to have a few niggles but its nothing that hasnt been covered over at forfour.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by BlackDog View Post
                  Something to do with the market rather than the quality of the car. I found mine very enjoyable to own and never had any issues. Just a pity that there's been nothing to replace them in the Smart stable until (maybe) this year.
                  Unfortunately the new offering looks rank

I shall definitely be keeping the original model!

Comment

OK having bought and driven two different models of the for four here is my two penny's worth
                    1.1 passion low mileage like it so much bought another one
                    1.5dci passion high mileage
                    The cars is a better buy second than most other cars of a similar size
                    Because rightly or wrongly people don't take them seriously.
                    I stumbled across it really but I am very pleased with it.
                    The insurance is cheap. The equipment list is far better than Ford or VW .
                    Now here is the best bit they are all Mitsubishi underneath unless diesel but that is a Mercedes Benz lump.
                    So no worries.

1. reliability if serviced properly.
                    2. Space the sliding rear seats are fantastic this has much space as my CMax
                    3. Fuel economy 42mpg stop start around town should easily be possible
                    4. Safety the car has side air bags driver and passenger air bags remember these cars were built in 2005/2006
                    5 Equipment list on both cars is very high air con alarms front fog lights traction control central locking etc
                    6. Blue line service parts are reasonable and the car is very easy to service.
                    7. All the funky bits it has character
                    8. Panels as they are easily replaceable and do have a nice high gloss which make the car look good.
                    9. Mitsubishi dealers will service them and they are much more pleasant to deal with

not so good
                    1. Suspension is a tad harsh on the 1.1 the 1.5dci seems much better ? be careful over very large speed bump the sump can get grazed.
                    2. Electric steering rack is a weakness make sure you apply contact cleaner during major service and check water tightness of connectors. Motor on rack
                    3. Some insurers charge a higher excess so check this they say is due to higher repair costs but this is mainly the roadsters.
                    4. Parcel shelf not standard (£95 new) ? why when air con remote central locking is standard just seems strange .
                    5. Mercedes dealers who are suppose to service them yuck!
                    6. lack of Haynes manual there are some manual that cover the car just why are Mercedes so awkward! (wouldn't sanction it)

Given the choice between a Ford or a VW or a Smart I will be buying another Smart soon just waiting for a smart for 4 4x4

As with any used car
                    Make your own judgements
                    offered as advice only

Look at a good few
                    Try and get a Passion (higher spec) and get a five seater if possible.
                    Look up the issues your model may suffer from
                    Verify all documents especially service history.
                    check vcar car is not cat c d
                    Less owners is better steady ownership life 2 years per owner usually.
                    check for a spare wheel much better than inflator it is a pain but will get you home, If inflator check sealant use by date it does expiry!

Clutch and wheel bearings are not cheap so budget for them.
                    No your model ranges and what is an extras.

The 1.5DCI we bought had loads of extra kit sat nav dvd and cd changer full electric windows and mirrors heated seats mirrors etc etc
                    As this is high mileage body work was pepper at the front but £95 for a newish front end and will be good as new. Easy to fit on Smart try that on a VW!

We have a powered roof on the 1.1 is this is very good plus its glass as against the Perspex panoramic roof which can deteriorate so pull the blind back and check.

Happy Smart hunting

Comment

Originally posted by chaz1 View Post

not so good
                      1. Suspension is a tad harsh on the 1.1 the 1.5dci seems much better ? be careful over very large speed bump the sump can get grazed.
                      2. Electric steering rack is a weakness make sure you apply contact cleaner during major service and check water tightness of connectors. Motor on rack
                      3. Some insurers charge a higher excess so check this they say is due to higher repair costs but this is mainly the roadsters.
                      4. Parcel shelf not standard (£95 new) ? why when air con remote central locking is standard just seems strange .
                      5. Mercedes dealers who are suppose to service them yuck!
                      6. lack of Haynes manual there are some manual that cover the car just why are Mercedes so awkward! (wouldn't sanction it)

just to comment on these....

1. all forfour suspension is a bit hard but it makes for a pointy fun driving experience
                      2. we have had a few motor failures but my saxo steering motor failed after 3 years
                      3. not experienced that - 35yrs old, bristol, brabus. £300/yr protected SDPC and business.
                      4. many of them have them now and i have a spare one in my garage if anyone wants
                      5. its a car like any other (unlike the 450/451/452) - mitsubishi 4cylinder petrol
                      6. you don't need one as www.forfour.co.uk has everything you need.

....but an excellent summary! well done.

OP - decide on spec, colour and engine then await a good one. you will not be disappointed!

you can buy a golf. quality will be better. price will be higher. you will look like every dull person around who has no idea about cars and just buys what some bloke in the pub told you - haha!!

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

Other than the mercedes 'negative' I would have to disagree on everything else air con wasn't standard either. The only 'common' issue I can think of is the throttle valve sticking which is an very simple 5 minute clean job. Other than that our forfours are practically bullet proof. Not saying you wont ever have a problem with one but its rare Lets wait and see how they ruin the name with the new abomination!

Comment

id go for the petrol 1.3 semi auto

Comment

Originally posted by storme37 View Post
                            id go for the petrol 1.3 semi auto
                            I am sure the OP will be so pleased they waited nearly 7 months for your reply.

Comment

• hustler320e
                              hustler320e commented
                              Editing a comment
                              1.5 diesel with manual box, high radio spec and on board computer. Armrest is an expensive add on but worth it if you have kids. 135k on mine and no probs other than a clutch change, love it to bits. Just done Scotland for a long week-end smooth as the day it was made easily over a thousand miles no aches or pains.

Nice, reading this thread gave me an idea about Forfour model.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X