connecting rev counter and clock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connecting rev counter and clock

hi, Just joined the Smart community and already needing help.

Bought add on pods for my fortwo. As usual no instructions and though must be simple. Took off dash top and found nothing to connect rev counter. I did find the connection for the clock on the side of the circuit board. I take it you use the black connector and then push in the one on the ribbon cable. Got the light to work so I think that's sorted. I was told that the connection for the RPM was there as well.
    Well it obviously is not , length of cable a bit of a give away, anyway where is the connection and how do you get at it?
    Not so smart (owner)after all :frown:

Re: connecting rev counter and clock

Asgard,
    The rev.counter cable plugs into a thin connector located on the back of the speedometer. You need to remove 4 torx screws from below the steering wheel and turn the speedometer over to get access.
    :silvertri Bjorn

Comment

Also after the rev counter is fitted it still(most likely) wont work.

Once fitted, take the car along to your Smart dealer and ask to get it activated. This is done via their computer software (and I think a TAN number is required). Cost of this work should be about £50 from memory, though expect it to vary wildly from dealership to dealership.

Comment

Hello!

This is a very easy task....when you know how!! I made a how to when I did my speaker upgrade, but it gives you all the pictorial stuff for the rev counter and clock. It is here: http://www.spark-uk.org/downloads.htm Obviously, choose the bits which suit you. You DON'T have to take appart the centre console, just ping out the top buttons as explained. This will make sense when you do it.

Depending on how the car was pre-programmed, you may or may not need to take it along to a smart dealer. Try this as well: when you take the dash off, unplug the big cable that goes to it so that the whole dash is disconnected. (This is explained in the howto). Now plug in the rev counter, then plug the dashboard power back in. You will notice a red flash of LEDs as it re-boots. During this boot it will detect the rev counter. If it does not work then you will need to go to a smart centre to get it activated. The reason why I recommend this is that I've heard stories of the rev counter being plugged in while the dash is still connected and it hasn't worked - because it needs a reboot. You can either do this yourself by unplugging like I said, or pay £50~ to smart to do pretty much the same thing. It is worth a try.

Good luck! (You won't need it...:teeth

Any probs doing this then please give me a shout...

@JamesMackB

Comment

Just wondering, if the rev counter does not work after pluging in.

Could you not just disconnect the battery + lead, reconnect and and this will reboot the dash ?

Comment

Indeed, this would work also. However, lifting the carpet, pulling out the foam block and undoing the battery might be a bit more work than unplugging the dash directly - especially when it is all undone to connect the rev counter!! :teeth:

@JamesMackB

Comment

Many thanks for the replies and suggestions. I will give the dash disconnect ago and see.:smile:

Comment

I realise this topic seems to have died some time ago, but I have a question to anybody who has removed the display console for the purpose of fitting a rev counter. I have found something strange!!

In all the photo's I can find on this topic, the rev counter plugs straight into the circuit board, but on mine I have an intermediate circuit board. Onthis board is a round component that has the following markings on...

HARTU
                263900-03
                0.3A / 60°
                4x4.7 mH
                42v AC/80v DC
                40/125/21

There is a socket to recieve the Rev counter plug, and a short lead with the same plug as the rev counter on. The board is basically a passthrough, but I wondered if anyone knows what it does?

The reason for this investigation is that REV counter in my fortwo (51 plate) is somewhat erratic, sometimes it works fine but others it gets all out of sync. I have removed this board and it seems fine for now. Any ideas anyone???

Comment

This was mentioned on the smartclubsite, I think your reffering to and interference supressor for AM signals, to stop the rev counter interfering with the radio (or vice versa).
                  This was only on the early cars, I don't believe it's required, so can you remove it plug the rev counter straight into the speedo?

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X