EXP throttle body

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EXP throttle body

In which case I am going to get some more spacers made up.

Comment

same here, all good.

like I said, gonna do some back to back dyno tests soon.

just pending spare funds to do some other work.

Comment

just fitted mine and im getting it custom mapped friday exiting times if i had the money id get it tested with the standard and the XEP on

Comment

shouldn;t cost you anymore money to do several dyno runs.

where you taking it to be mapped?

Comment

hey i took it to Tune 4 Performance and he was going to do back to back runs with both throttle's but had a boost leak so we spent most of the day trying to find that however when i go back to get the map finished off ill get it done then and get some results for you all

Comment

Good man. Hope you got the boost issue sorted

Comment

Originally posted by matty10 View Post
                hey i took it to Tune 4 Performance and he was going to do back to back runs with both throttle's but had a boost leak so we spent most of the day trying to find that however when i go back to get the map finished off ill get it done then and get some results for you all
                Keep us posted.

Comment

update on my TB test fit;

I've been away on hols for 3 weeks so not run the car too much lately.I had fitted the larger Vauxhall TB with the Smartmods spacer and a new silicone connector (see my previous post).After experiencing a 'lumpy' throttle I tried swapping out the TB with another Vauxhall TB from a local breakers(in case the first one was faulty or 'tired') .Despite being 'better' it was still not right so I tried swapping the circuit board with the original Smart cover - as suggested by Kane (and others) .This seemed to settle things down a lot and I certainly thought the larger TB improved the performance.

On return from the hols. the car has begun 'hunting' up and down the rev. range at tickover with a very occasional (and scary) spike in the revs - sometimes when cold but also when hot too.

I'm really busy at work at the moment and need the car to be ultra reliable - also my wife was wary of driving the Smart when it being unprdictable.So,to be on the safe side I put everthing back to normal last night with the original Smart TB back in place.The car is running OK but bizarely,despite a battery disconnect,I still have the revs hunting up and down between 500 - 1500 revs. on tickover.

Help !! will it just take time for the car to re-learn where normal tickover is after the ECU re-set or is there some other issue I am not aware of ;e.g. perhaps a faulty sensor or whatever?

I must admit, I thought reverting to normal set up would take the car back to how it was so am concerned that it remains a little 'interesting' (not the term my wife used !) to drive smoothly at the moment!

Any thoughts on what the issue(s) may be ?

n.b. I have not completely given up on the larger TB mod as I think it has the potential to be a really great mod. - I'm watching to see how Matty10 and others get on with their experiments......

Comment

Do you have a gasket of some sort between the metal spacer and the metal body of the TB? I've had zero problems since the first start after installing the TB using a spacer cut out of 10mm thick rubber sheet which I figure is as airtight a way of joining the TB and the intake manifold as it possibly gets and if there was even a slightest leak of air I suppose it would cause the revs to go up and down at idle. For me it worked equally well after the first time when I didn't disconnect the battery as it worked after the second time when I fitted the TB after the battery had been out of the car for six weeks when I had to wait for new piston rings to arrive from US so I think resetting the TB or changing the internals from the original TB wouldn't matter much if everything else is fine.

Comment

Hi Pimust

- interesting point you raise;I used the (v.thin) paper gasket supplied by Smartmods between the Spacer and manifold but nothing between the TB and spacer - is this there where you installed yours?

Did you end up making/using two gaskets - between TB and spacer and between spacer and manifold ?

Getting excited now as this sounds as though it could be a reason for the 'hunting' issue; did you have the same problem prior to the gaskets on your set up?

Cheers, James

Comment

I just have this one thick piece of rubber sheet shaped like the spacer between the TB and the intake manifold.

Comment

There is already a rubber seal between the plastic manifold and the original throttle body so you reuse that between the plastic manifold and the spacer.
                          The impregnated paper spacer goes between the spacer and the throttle body.

Comment

So far I haven't had too many problems. It revs a little higher than it used to when first started and it holds the revs a little longer than normal when I change gears until it warms up. Apart from that it's been smooth sailing. I was thinking of changing over the circuit from the original TB to see if it will help with the over-revving but I'm not too concerned. Never did disconnect the battery either.

Cheers

Paul

Comment

I must say that I'm really stunned how well my setup works in every respect when I have a custom camshaft, custom 2" exhaust with no cat and a single silencer, Bonalume aluminum clutch and the XEP throttle body just basically thrown in ten minutes. When I start the engine it first idles at 2000rpm for a while then drops down to below 1000rpm, there's no hesitation or anything but really smooth acceleration from the point when the clutch engages when I press the gas pedal. The data from ODB2 port shows that at idle the throttle position is at 3% and in city traffic there's no need to open the throttle more than to about 15 to 20% to keep up with the traffic around you. When I have to stop at traffic lights the engine idles at steady 850rpm until it starts to fluctuate between 830 and 900rpm after a while if I have to wait a little bit longer for the green light.

Comment

Hey guys. Sorry for necroposting in this topic but I got a question to you, - can someone measure the width of spacer from smartmods?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X