Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Steering column and UV joint issues

Hi all,

I know that this is a frequent issue on Smarts, mine is a LHD ForTwo 450 from 2005.

Recently the steering has been sticky and I've been following all of the advice that I can find about un seizing the UV joint and then regreasing them again.

The problem got better for a while and then got worse again and I'm pretty sure that I'm not doing the process right in using random combinations of WD40, GT85 and 3 in 1 oil.

Thinking that it was the UV joint behind the steering wheel that was gone, I deceided to nip down to Smart in Annemasse to see if they could definately check it out for me and find out the cost of replacing the bits that were broken. Final result, €465 to replace the steering column, €715 for the column and the UV joints down on the arms.

Obviously, this is ridiculously expensive and I wanted to ask you all the following;

1. Once UV joints have started to go stiff, can they be 'saved' by regular greasing and maintaince? ie. just so the car gets me through the winter up here in the alps and then I can sell it in the spring.

2. If I think its the steering column UV joint that's gone, is it an easy job to replace yourself? If so, where would you find the parts and is there a how to guide online anywhere.

Please help, I really like this car but I can't have it let me down in the winter. I can't always ski to work...

Cheers
    Dave

Re: Help - Steering column and UV joint issues

Is the steering becoming notchy when steering? and are you 100% it's the UJ?
    The UJ can stiffen up over time, but WD40 isn't the way to go, it's too thin and will disperse - (as will 3 in 1).
    Assuming the joint hasn't actually worn beyond reproach, you should be able to sort it with some proper (normal) grease.

Remember in the prices you've been quoted, they'll be 'retail' parts and the work involved will not be insignificant, so I can easily see it reaching that sort of figure.

so basically:
    1) yes, on the proviso there is nothing more serious than just gunk in the joint.
    2) Anything is doable, but you'll need to strip down pretty much the whole of the front of the car, inside and out - I don't recall there being a guide for this.

Parts would be sourced from the dealer (obviously) for new, or the likes of ebay for breakers and second hand (caveat emptor).

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

I've salvaged mine using grease, WD40 isn't a lubricant and I doubt oil will offer enough lubrication.

I certainly wouldn't say that price was ridiculous, seems pretty fair compared to some prices here! Selling it with this existing problem doesn't make you a very nice person unless you're honest with the seller.

I can't find a guide online, though I imagine the job could be performed by a regular mechanic for less.

Comment

Much more likely to be the lower UV joint. WD40 (and its equivalents) are merely water displacers (hence the WD) and are rubbish as lubricants. Get hold of a can of spray grease and use that - repeatedly. That should keep it alive a while longer, though any sign of apreciable free play warrants immediate replacement.
        If the part(s) do need repalced, a conventional garage shoild be able to do the work, especially if you print off the 'how-to' guides from Evilution?FQ101 (body work removal etc), but if I'm wrong on this someone will no doubt correct me.
        The only complication I can see is if the 'wheel rotation' sensor (cartridge) behind the steering wheel gets disturbed and requires resetting with a STAR machine. Focus therefor on the lower joint for now - the one exposed to the elements.

Comment

This is hard to get to to do a proper job, if you jack it up and remove the closest wheel to the steering wheel you can with an extended tube spray the u/J with good quality release oil and spend a bit of time rotating the steering wheel until it frees off. Then you have to clean well and use a good quality grease to protect it from happening again within a couple of weeks. It is worth the hastle to save the cash and normally has a high success rate as long as there is as previously mentioned no additional problems.

Al

Comment

DAVEB 10.

REGARDS THE STEERING COLUMB , ITS NORMALLY THE BOTTOM JOINT THAT HAS PROBLEMS .
            THE STEERING COLUMB HAS 3 UV JOINTS .

THE NEW STEERING COLUMB COMES COMPLETE WITH THE JOINTS FITTED , YOU CANT REPLACES THE JOINTS SEPERATE
            THEY ARE PART OF THE COLUMB .
            AVERAGE PRICE FOR NEW STEERING COLUMB £160 - £166 . SMARTPARTS DIRECT QUOTE :- Price: £166.51 / €191.49

THE PRICE THEY ARE ASKING YOU IS A BIT STEEP , SHOP AROUND

JUST HAD TO REPLACE MINE FOR M.O.T WITH A NEW STEERING COLUMB .
            STEERING COLUMB & LABOUR £ 245 .90

TONY [ OLDGIT ]

www.smartgit.co.uk
            Last edited by oldgit; 08-11-11, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much everyone for your helpful replies.

As it happens, the steering has been pretty much perfect today, I am guessing that when I took it into Smart for the diagnostic they must have greased the UV joints a little in the right places. So perhaps this means that we are not actually beyond the point of no return.

I'm planning to nip down to the local car shop on friday and get some motorcycle chain grease as recommended by Evilution and give the UV joints everywhere a damn good spraying and going over.

I really don't want to take the car apart if neccessary and if I can get it sorted, in the long term, I'll just keep it as a village car.

hustler320e - This is hard to get to to do a proper job, if you jack it up and remove the closest wheel to the steering wheel you can with an extended tube spray the u/J with good quality release oil.

Hustler320e - Can I just ask you to clarify more what I am supposed to be seeing or is it just this? - http://www.evilution.co.uk/567

Many thanks
              Dave

Comment

I had the same problem with our 2005 smart
                A product from INNOTEC called DEBLOC solved the problem. I removed the lower dirt shield having first jacked the smart up as high as i could and stood it on axle stands i gave the lower and upper uj's a good soaking moving the steering wheel from lock to lock and left it over night then the same again. Then a good covering with SPRAY GREASE NO MORE STICKY steering.

Comment

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=524

Comment

I have kept bottom UJ wetted in grease as part of my preventative maintenance programme. I doubt whether this grease would ever go past the oil seals on the UJ. Perhaps as the grease keeps the seals wetted, there is less chance of ingress of water.
                    I suggest you try heating lower UJ. Use an electric heat gun. The heat will melt and redistribute any remaining grease inside the UJ. Keep wetting UJ with spray grease whilst heating and keep rocking steering wheel. This is a method I've used successfully on agricultural machinery. Might work on the Smart.

You will appreciate from above photo that access to lower UJ is not particularly great unless you remove radiator.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X