Speedo adjustment for larger wheels & new dials

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo adjustment for larger wheels & new dials

This is something Ive not seen on any forum or the question ever asked. If you were to fit say for instance the 16" or 17" wheels, does this effect the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre combined, I would have thought it would have done as it would be difficult to get the dimension of the wheel and tyre exactly the same as the original. This would then reflect in the way the speedo reports the speed you are doing producing a false reading. As it is expecting the standard 15" and tyres. Can this be adjusted via software? If so who has had it done? Can it be done as part of a remap? I would have thought it would be possible but Ive never heard anyone mention them having it done.

The same goes for increasing the speedo numbers above 80mph via new dials, something I was thinking of doing when I get the car remapped. This would also require adjustment to report the correct speed to the new dials. How is this worked out? Because its a digital gauge there must be a multiplier involved but that would depend on where the markings are on the dials, the arc of the curve and the distance between markings etc... Calculating this is going to be fun so how can I ensure that its correct? Does anyone know the original parameters of the speedo setup?

Cheers
    Last edited by cougar7609; 20-07-14, 02:08 PM.

Smart-sport and I have the required hardware and software, but so far I have not used it.
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno. Key coding
    TAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

Comment

Hello Cougar, for every wheel size you go up you will reduce the profile of the tyre. If you go to 17's you will probably be on 40 profile tyres, there are online calculators to help you sort this out. Don't forget that the lower the profile the better the cornering ability but the worse the hardness of the ride. Check out the tyre/wheel calculator on wwww.alloy wheels.com it's under Menu then Tyre Calculator (courtesy of Evilution). Hope you don't suffer from backache as low profile tyres will aggravate it.

Comment

Thanks CDFM, this is what I thought, but surely doesnt that make finding the right tyres a ball ache being lower profile? Im surprised that you havent used the equipment Big, maybe it is down to what CDFM said. So how can the speedo be adjusted for the extra speed a remap will open up?

Comment

I think that the STAR diagnostics have options for this.
          I know for sure that this is done when/if you install the 18 inch Monoblocks on the car.
          Bjorn

Comment

Easier posting a deviation table visible from the helm.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X