Car running too rich

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car running too rich

Hi All, My engine management light came on the other day with a code of P0136. Prior to this I always believed my car was running too rich as my tailpipes are covered in soot....I've also heard the occasional 'pop' from the exhaust during deceleration. Today I replaced the exhaust lambda sensor and the one I removed was completely covered in soot too. What are the chances of the we lambda solving the problem? If it doesn't what else could possible be the problem? Timing? Any thoughts would be great.

Looking at the OBD error code, I'd say you have probably sorted the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Simbo View Post
      ..I've also heard the occasional 'pop' from the exhaust during deceleration.
      Originally posted by Simbo View Post
      If it doesn't what else could possible be the problem? .
      Leaking exhaust drawing in air. As per previous post though - it's likely as not fixed already.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Gave my tailpipes a good clean after fitting the new lambda and after a short 10min drive this morning there is already a build up of black soot again......to me it still seems to be running rich. What else could be the problem?

Comment

Does exhaust fumes smell of petrol when first started and cold engine? Is there visible smoke? Purple blue or black smoke?

Comment

Have you done compression readings. Dry and wet?

Comment

I haven't done compression readings yet. There doesn't seem to be any smell and there is definitely no visible smoke from the exhaust....I've been keeping my eye out in case it's burning oil.

Comment

Some soot is normal. Suggest you look up the pipes of other Smarts and compare.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
                  Some soot is normal. .
                  'Tis true - they aren't the cleanest arsed of cars.
                  What's your mpg? If it's running rich it will be gutsing through juice surely?.

Comment

Must admit I've never been one to calculate MPG....maybe it's about time I did!

Comment

Check with a computer if the Knocking-sensor is working correct.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X