Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composite Oil Pan for 450

Hi all.

As per the name of the topic, what are your opinions on this.

I need to change my oil pan (rusty). I was looking to get one with the drain plug and stumbled on a composite oil pan from smart-stuff and it got me thinking... http://www.smart-stuff.co.uk/composi...ter-6747-p.asp

There are pros and cons in this:

pros - light weight (big deal for me)
    - not rusting
    - helps to cool down oil

cons - how durable is it? metal oil pan dents but will composite one crack?

Thanks

Nick

Originally posted by nickkimbel View Post
    what are your opinions on this.
    Well seeing as you asked...

I was looking to get one with the drain plug
    Having just changed mine after draining with a Pela - the plug cannot offer any better draining. There was zero oil left in mine when I removed it. The plug is just one more thing to damage.

pros - light weight (big deal for me)
    0.5kg so low down won't make any difference that's detectable.

- not rusting
    True it can't rust. But the steel sump I removed hadn't rusted either. The seal (original MB/smart) must have failed.

- helps to cool down oil
    Retain heat more likely. Metals are better at conducting heat away than composites.

how durable is it? metal oil pan dents but will composite one crack?
    At the time I purchased my replacement steel sump I had a farm track to traverse. The prospect of cracking a plastic sump where a steel one would merely dent swung my decision.

Original steel sump new from smart at around half the price, paint it in underseal, and get a bag of stainless steel bolts from Screwfix for less than a fiver and make the lavish expenditure the purchasing of one of Evil's excellent rubber gaskets for less than a tenner.
    Not only what I'd do - it's what I did!

Comment

Personally I would stick with the stock non-drain plug sump every time.

Comment

I have to admit that I had considered fitting a composite sump but the last engine I rebuilt was fitted with one and this put me off.

I was surprised at how soft the plastic became when the oil was hot which concerned me in relation to the security of the sump plug boss within the plastic.

You also must use a gasket as there's a flange running all the way round the edge inside which the gasket is designed to sit - this again concerned me as the compression of the gasket was greater on the inside edge whereas the outer edge compression was dictated by the flange coming into contact with the block face. (Hope that males sense!)

My preferred sump is currently a steel one with the sump plug located appropriately at the lowest point (directly below the dipstick)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Road...item2a3afbd34f

Comment

Plastic sumps are fine. No rust and engine looses less heat hence gets faster up operating temperature. I've now had mine for almost four years. Recommended.

Comment

They are alright as long as you don't clout it on anything.

Comment

Here is mine:

Ölwanne in Kunststoff mit integrierter Ablaßschraube aus gedrehten Edelstahl.

One can clearly see above oil pan has no rust,no dents and no holes. Regrettably not so with the rest of the car I.

Comment

As you live in inner London and your car is lowered to the max I'd be worried about clouting it and the metal one will shed more heat in the city traffic even if it's not a great amount.

But saying all that I doubt there's much in it. Personally I'd go with a metal CDI pan for the increased oil capacity. The whole getting every last drop out at oil changes is a red herring anyway as you always have some remaining in the oil system and particularly in your case with your oil cooler.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Kapt. Q View Post
                  Personally I'd go with a metal CDI pan for the increased oil capacity. Cheers!
                  Only the 54bhp sump is a touch deeper. The 45 is the same as the petrol version. If you go for the 54 sump, you should consider the slightly longer 54 oil pick up pipe.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X