No announcement yet.

DIY sump/ oil pan heater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the 1990s, we had a courtyard where we kept the car.
    Later, I rent a heated garage over the winter.
    Now there are too many cars, no one rents the garage under the building, and the parking spaces are marked and assigned by the town hall. The law assigns to the mayor the land it asphalted. The mayor's office distributes fines.
    Another procedure was to place the car on top of a round sewer cover. 1 car = 1 seat; my place has only asphalt and it is forbidden to work on the car on the public domain .

Insulation of the oil bath I want to do with glass fiber laminated with electrotechnical resin Class F (155C) or Class H (180C).

Comment

I’ll soon sort out the cocked up picture links caused by Photobucket greed. Not paying £300 per annum for their photo hosting.

Got a new project:

Hot water and steam out of windshield washer nozzles.
      Intend to place an inline heater between pump and nozzle. A glow plug generates 150 Watts and heats up quickly. One or two glow plugs ought to do the job. Details will follow.

Comment

Simple control. Push to make switch to operate relay and turn on heater.

Comment

The big plan and hope is steam will clear nozzle and eventually clear windshield of ice.

Comment

Why not just wrap the washer tubing around the top radiator hose? Not as hot, but safer for the screen.
            450 washers are a PITA for blocking and losing aim. Any improvement there would be welcome.
            Where has half of this thread gone?

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
              Why not just wrap the washer tubing around the top radiator hose? Not as hot, but safer for the screen.
              450 washers are a PITA for blocking and losing aim. Any improvement there would be welcome.
              Where has half of this thread gone?
              Unlike you I want instant heat and steam. Steam should in theory unblock nozzles. Not much risk of cracking windscreen but time will tell.

I can’t see any missing half of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
                Unlike you I want instant heat and steam. Steam should in theory unblock nozzles. Not much risk of cracking windscreen but time will tell.

I'd have thought your proposal better deployed to heat the incoming (to HP pump) fuel.

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
                I can’t see any missing half of this thread.
                Well you wouldn't if it's missing!

Page#4 here. The post prior to your posting at 12.37am is dated 14/12/17. We were up to six pages prior.

Comment

OE devices are made with incandescent glows plugs.
                  https://www.pieseauto.ro/alte-piese-...908645915.html or
                  https://www.pieseauto.ro/alte-piese-...512758857.html
                  The efficiency of these devices is indeterminate but I think they are ineffective. The incandescent spark plug has been optimized to work for short periods at high temperatures (800 ... 1000C). At low temperatures (-15 ... + 30C) the operation is of some efficiency because it was designed to work in the air, not in the liquid.

The solution from the car manufacturers consists of blowing hot air onto the interior of the windscreen (in the cabin) or electric windscreen wiper, similar to the rear window but with invisible electrodes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIhZsVwFJlQ The other way is to use the capacitor reactance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmpROemcd4E
                  Reducing visibility by changing the diy windshield first comes to the driver. From a legal point of view, it is "the key to the prison".

Comment

Unlocking in nozzles is done by heating the nozzle with electric resistance - heated nozzles.
                    Emptying liquid after each use is impossible to do gravitationally.
                    150W leads to melting the nozzle.
                    5W are sufficient to unlock the nozzle.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
                      Well you wouldn't if it's missing!

Page#4 here. The post prior to your posting at 12.37am is dated 14/12/17. We were up to six pages prior.
                      I also get confused now and then. There are two similar threads. Mine (this one) and Mottofree's http://smartmaniacs.co.uk/forum/the-...l-heater/page7

Comment

• Thrumbleux
                        Thrumbleux commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That explains it!

If you really want to experiment with jet propulsion TK, start with the rear screen wash jet......

• tolsen
                        tolsen commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No rear jet on mine since a Cabrio.

My Cabrio will soon become a fiery dragon.

Comment

Last winter I tried this method.
                        Indeed, the ice is removed from the windshield.
                        After a short distance (100 ... 500 yards), the temperature felt on the windscreen surface decreases by 10 degrees and the remaining water film crystallizes. I tried to mechanically remove the film (card method) but it's like scabies:
                        you can not finish it all the way.
                        Windshield becomes semi-opaque, reason for which we went by car on the pavement in a curve; my luck is there is nobody there.
                        Then, before leaving, the windshield was clean like a tear ...
                        After climbing on the sidewalk, I gave up this windshield wipe because it's not good to force your luck.

Comment

It is advisable to run wipers a wee bit to wipe windshield clean of water after having operated the heater and washer.

Have already acquired about a dozen second hand glow plugs and intend to manufacture the heater tomorrow since a rather dull day and no open pub so not much to do.

Comment

Delayed here. Missing M12x1.25 taps.

Above glow plugs fit early 1990 Peugeot Citroen 1.9 Diesel engines. Only £2.50 each on eBay with delivery. Mine of course cost me nothing.
                            Overall length is 71mm. Tested both and found single plug heat output is about 250 Watts. That ought to be more than enough to heat windshield washer water.

Comment

Taps just arrived. £4.23 with delivery.

Might have a prototype working within a few hours.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X