No announcement yet.

DIY sump/ oil pan heater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And here's a hot winter, snow I saw only in photos. If it were snow, we would say it's March ...
    The plane is now landing, just the customs takes a bit longer - the Asian Receipt item (RPC / ROC) is 30 days on average for Ro.
    If there are the holidays then 45 days.

Comment

I think reason for mild winter without snow is that we are making heaters for our cars. Weather is smarter than people think.

Comment

Global warming?
        Sooner or later, oil will be exhausted so it will no longer be greenhouse gases from cars.

Comment

BP estimated in 2013 that oil at the current extraction rate would last another 53 years hence there should be enough to power my Smart to the end of my time.

Comment

Rate in 2013. Now, in 2018, is that rate still?
            In Cluj, the car registration number in 2013 was CJ08xxx; now it's CJ18xxx. It follows that the streets are still there 10 * (26 taken 3) of the car. Combinations of significance / reserved are excluded but represent a small number.
            Probably the economically developed countries do not feel the increase in the number of cars, but in the former communist countries they feel acute.
            In Communism there was a car in three families now there are 2 cars in a family. Also, 90% of the shipments were by rail or sea. Now only 5% is rail / sea and the rest is on the roads.

Comment

In preparation for the future fuel crisis I have already taken appropriate steps. Have designed and manufactured a sailboat that fits in the boot of my Smart car or can easily be carried on a cart or be hauled by my pushbike.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
                We have now ordered a couple of China timer switches.
                https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-DC-12V-S...pid=2215573074

Will need to use additional 30 amp relay to take the 20 amp current drawn by glow plug washer water heater. May also have to operate heater manually for some time.
                Two timer switches arrived from China this morning. I placed the order last year on 31 December so they only took 16 days to arrive.
                Now testing one of the two timer switches to confirm if suitable for freezing temperatures. Got one switch wired up and sitting inside a chest freezer. Temperature - 21 C.

Comment

Test completed. Concluded timer relay is fit for the intended purpose. Current draw when not energized was 0.005A both at room temperature and at - 21 C. I had timer set to 16 seconds at room temperature. At - 21 C, set time changed to 15.7 seconds only 0.3 second change.

Good colder weather is now forecast. Means there will be plenty of opportunities to test out the gadget in a car.

Comment

An electric current conductor generates a field; that field induces in another near conductor an electrical voltage,which is superimposed on the useful signal.
                    Smart is noisy.
                    Was the test performed in similar conditions?

555 is sensitive to noise.
                    A small part of the noise is perceived by humans. Namely the acoustic nature.
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise

Comment

I can house the timer switch inside a metal box if noise turns out to be a problem.

Comment

Noises propagate on the power wires.
                        I saw the product ,probably is equipped with an anti-noise filter - the manufacturer recommends 100uF II 100nF.
                        The 100uF (electrolytic) capacitor is mounted on the power supply circuit.
                        Electrolytic capacitors (C3 & C4) are located between the potentiometer and the anti-reverse diode. Please read their value. One knows it is 47uF / 25V and the other must be 47 ... 100uF / 25V.
                        The 100nF capacitor is mounted as close as possible to the integrated circuit (555) and is SMD type.

If shielded cables and metal boxes are used, the noise effect will be reduced to insignificant.
                        No one can guarantee what will happen in time at low temperatures because this is not an electronic automotive grade device.

Comment

I am not overly worried but will keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

My experience in using 555 (to automotive) reveals that all precautions are needed.
                            Everything must be done according to theoretical requirements; then it is ok.
                            Otherwise, it is only a small chance that everything is okay. Note that your fingers should be held for the entire lifetime of the device.

It may happen :
                            - the timing period is not the one set - discomfort
                            - timing to be random - discomfort, not good
                            - Random triggering - Fire hazard!
                            Possible other defects.

Comment

It is all fitted in the car (Trekka). Appears to work as washer water comes out piping hot. Might add a light emitting diode to indicate when heater is on. Now looking forward to a good frost so I can test it out in earnest.

Comment

Frost finally arrived. Minus 6 C this morning. Washer water heater worked.

Got cheap Tesco ready mixed washer fluid only good for - 2 C. Driver side jets were frozen but the hot water got them thawed in the end. Most jets need cleaning and adjustment.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X