Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 450 Cabrio Roof gear drive (E-Drive)

Hi Guys, Hopefully someone can help

Rather than replacing the gear drive with the standard (overpriced) unit thatwears out I am making up new Gear sets out of a much stronger material.
    Just to confirm our measurements can someone who happens to have a new origional one of these Gearschuck a set of Callipers on it and let me know the exact Diameter!?

Also, has anyone else had a go at fixing these?

Cheers

Planet

I looked at this myself a long time ago but after looking into it, I decided not to bother for 2 reasons.
    Firstly, it's 2 cogs joined together, 1 plastic cog that mates to the motor work drive and 1 metal cog that mates to the roof cables. Mating the 2 cogs together is a pain.
    Secondly, the plastic cog doesn't wear and the roof cables don't normally wear enough to be a problem. So the only part that wears is the upper metal cog.

The cog assembly takes 10 minutes to swap and might need doing once every 5 years, if that.

If you make the top cog out of stronger metal, the roof cables will wear instead. The roof cable metal is a long spring and very thin.
    If the cables needed changing, you are looking at 1 hour of problems that you can only do in the summer and if either/both of the cables snap because of wear, you'll either not be able to open the roof to change the cables or you'll have snapped sections of cable stuck in the guides.

Something has to wear and it's better it's the easily changed cog that wears over a long time.

Comment

Hi, Cheers for that.
      unfortunately there are no Smart parts dealers down here so most things get ordered from Europe, gets expensive!
      Ive actually had the gears made and are fitting them asap at about half the price of a Cog kit, I have also had them designed slightly larger as the mating surface is minimal, probably half the problem in the first instance!

will let you know how it works

Comment

Originally posted by PlanetNZ View Post
        ... will let you know how it works
        Still waiting in anticipation.

Comment

Fortunately Smart-Stuff Parts will already sell the cog alone - for just £87 each

https://www.smart-stuff.parts/replac...50-cabrio-7470

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X