Clutch problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch problems

Today I installed gearbox and noticed that amounted pressure plate (before I installed it on the car).
    Gearbox worked very hard to place (only draw of screws).
    I hope that the vibration motor to line up.
    If you slip , only if the clutch is again reset to solve?

Is that a clutch you had taken apart? Friction disc not centred?

Comment

Disc centred ,but ...

Comment

... After going to start the engine.

Comment

We went down the gearbox.
          Clutch pack was opened.
          I reset , centered and tried to close the clutch but it is not possible only with a screw.
          1-Ambreiaj Smart CDI.jpg

I'll use a hydraulic press for this.
          1-Capturaţi ecranul complet 29.03.2015 120235.jpg

Know another method of closing?
          Attached Files

Comment

You have to be particularly smart and cunning like a fox to rebuild a Sachs clutch. Lucky for you there is someone that recently completed a successful rebuild.

Auto wear adjustment mechanism must be set to zero. This is done by turning the spring loaded cam inside pressure plate housing.
            You can see that cam tension springs are fully extended. I held cam ring in position with a piece of haywire, see below photo. You have to hook it on such that it can be removed once pressure plate is firmly pressed home into flywheel.

Next step is to make a fixture that will keep clutch in declutched position. Without this you won't get the required preload on friction plate when clutch is released (clutched position, similar to foot off clutch pedal).

Special fixture made from a 30 mm thick medium density fibre (MDF) worktop, 12 mm coach bolt and nut from a 9 inch angle grinder. You will see from below photo how the fixture works. Clutch assembly mounted on the special non Lidl fixture is placed in my DIY 10 tonne hydraulic press. It is impossible without the fixture to press pressure plate housing fully home in flywheel.

Obviously you need to do this in stages by turning the clutch assembly unless you have some means of spreading the load evenly so you can push pressure plate housing home in one go.

Special sequence: Release fixture centre bolt first, then remove haywire. Cam ring may turn if you do this in wrong order and you have to start all over.

I am also attaching photo of flywheel and clutch friction discs:

Flywheel is original from 2002, has seen 200,000 km. Wear is minimal.

Old friction disc seen on left side. New friction disc received FOC from Crazymanneill in Belfast on the right. I assembled the clutch with his pressure plate housing also.

My friction disc had only 0.5 mm total wear so would have been good for another 13 years at least. I opened out the clutch because one of the three cam tension springs had broken years ago when the actuator was misbehaving and releasing uncontrolled with a bang.
            Last edited by tolsen; 29-03-15, 08:53 PM.

Comment

10 minutes ago I finished made a new retaining clip, the old I left the workshop.
              Clip is stainless steel wire (2 mm diameter) processed at one end for mounting.
              1-DSCF1542-001.JPG

1-DSCF1543.JPG

1-DSCF1545.JPG

Comment

My haywire clip is a lot simpler and I think less prone to being stuck inside. No rope that can break and accessible from outside.

Comment

The haywire used me out slightly,more difficult it is to stay there. Cords tried to break it by hand but I could not ... and is double. Last time I used a thin twine (only a thread) and not broke.
                  1-Capturaţi ecranul complet 29.03.2015 233650.jpg
                  The recovery process was simple: I pulled the rope and walked easily with clip on the end.
                  Attached Files

Comment

You asked for a different method of assembling clutch flywheel assembly. Have you ever studied the "second method" on FQ101?

http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides...ch-change.html

They suggest knocking on pressure plate housing with a rubber mallet. No mention of setting cam mechanism to zero. Clutch diaphragm is not preloaded. End result is clutch slip.

By the way, did you succeed in the end?

Comment

We applied the method fq101 ,but not valid because it does not mention that the hammer must be at least 50 kg? I mean a rubber sledgehammer ? However, this method covers 450 petrol I guess.
                      I have not assembled.
                      Hydraulic press which I access it bent and requires rebuilding. I got the OSB (smartply) for the special fixture. Because OSB is only 10mm thick, using 3 boards.

Comment

... you've bolted wood together.
                        I fixed flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate on wooden board.
                        1-DSCF1546.JPG
                        I put a large central screw and washer am biased diaphragm.
                        1-DSCF1549.JPG
                        The shield of the electric motor, have pressed the pressure plate in the flywheel.
                        1-DSCF1550.JPG

Comment

... Now, going to a balanced ; at firs glance 50g imbalance is ...
                          1-DSCF1552.JPG

1-DSCF1553.JPG

Comment

Well done you got it back together.

I would not bother balancing the assembly. Individual components on their own perhaps if they have been subject to repairs. Friction disc slightly out of centre is enough to bring the assembly into a small imbalance.

Comment

Unfortunately, as I opened the pressure plate stopper was broken.
                              1-DSCF1193.JPG

1-DSCF1247.JPG

1-DSCF1250.JPG

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X