Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catch can : Pros & Cons ?

Hi all,

I'm planning on putting in a forge dump valve to my car and I'm wondering if I should put in a catch can at the same time to divert burnt oil vapor to a catch can so that I don;t get splatters of oil around the engine bay from the valve.

Any downsides to doing this ? Does the turbo need that little bit of extra oil going through it for any reason ? Or is it just going through there to get burnt up for emissions reasons ?

Thanks!

Mark

The only downside to a catch can is that you have to empty it at some point.
    The turbo doesn't work any better for the burnt oil vapour, in fact, it's better if it doesn't as you don't get the build up of **** on the compressor wheel.

The pros - if your top breather check valve fails, you don't get a load of oil dumped into the turbo.

It's all about emissions.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Evilution View Post
        The only downside to a catch can is that you have to empty it at some point..
        Fit a bilge pump with auto start on high level. Discharge to sump. Fit alarm on high high so you get a warning in the event that pump fails to start. Alternatively, simply fit a pipe that drains to sump.

Comment

Not recommended as burnt condensed oil vapour loses a lot of its lubricational properties although there's not that much oil in a catch tank unless you have problems with the engine or upper check valve.
          Either way, for the amount of oil, I don't think there is a small enough pump to do the job.

Comment

I duct breather gases from my Cdi through a cyclone separator and drain all separated oil back to engine. Never any need to top up oil between oil changes. There is so much oil coming through the breather I could start selling this oil.

Comment

You will find that the main thing that ends up in the catch can is water, a result of vapour condensing. The vapour comes from blow by. A catch can is a good idea. Make sure that you use no less than 12mm ID fittings and pipe.

Cheers!

Comment

Yes there will be plenty of water so special precautions must be employed to avoid freezing and blckage in sub zero temperatures.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X