12,000 mile for two what to do for engine upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12,000 mile for two what to do for engine upgrade

Hi All. I've just purchased a fortwo from 2003 with 12,000 miles and interested in engine upgrades. I'm looking for at least brabus performance but wonder if it's sensible to alter something this low mileage. Any suggestions as to upgrades would be great. I've been told the brabus upgrade is an engine remap and new exhaust and wonder if this could be confirmed / denied by someone.

Thanks

Edward

1000 miles a year ......

Hmmmmm that'll be in good nick .....

Comment

Seems pretty good. All docs support mileage so not sure if I should upgrade or not

Comment

How many services has it had?

Comment

7 I think but had one every other year. Just checking their are no more as car purchased locally from original owner. Going to check with smart on tuesday.

Comment

There is a 2002 Smart in Banchory with similar mileage. The only long runs it has seen is when venturing to Aberdeen for servicing.

Comment

Given the fortwo's penchant for lunching it's piston rings & exhaust valves, "upgrading the power" would be the last thing on my agenda for the 12 year old engine.

Comment

The engine is made of metal though - not some bio-degradable with time substance.

Comment

I'm assuming it's a 700cc, if so then 90-100hp is not difficult to obtain, any more than that and it gets risky on stock internals. If she was mine I'd go for a roadster cam, injectors, TIK and turbo along with a Janspeed stealth exhaust to suit the bigger turbo flange, but I'd not do any of that before adding a thermostatic oil cooler. You'll also need a remap to make it work together. Change the oil more often than the manual states.

Cheers!

Comment

I would keep it all original and just enjoy the Smart in its virgin state for a good while. Of course I would carry out any required maintenance including precautionary maintenance like ensuring transmission cables are well clamped, supported and not chafing against anything, waterfroof seal on clutch actuator, grease fork socket in contact with actuator rod and set its preload, remove transmission angle turn sensor and clean and grease its seal area.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
                      The engine is made of metal though - not some bio-degradable with time substance.
                      Metal that has done 1000 miles a year. Or 3 miles a day.
                      Metal that has either stood for ages not being used so the lubrication suffers, or, metal that has rarely been warmed through properly.
                      Either way that's a recipe for premature engine wear - and we all know these engine need rebuild from as little as 50,000 miles when they're used regularly. And that's without modding them to increase power & stress...

Comment

• 10:45PM
                        10:45PM commented
                        Editing a comment
                        ...Hear hear

Silver Hook engine flush is the answer. About £2.50 per flush from Toolstation.

Comment

Aldi&Lidl don't stock it then ?

Comment

Lol on some of the lack of use comments from roadster and Brabus fortwo owners, half these cars spent years waiting to be sold, some even being sent away for the Brabus conversion after sitting as standard cars to even be able to sell them, and many have been messed with since including low mileage ones without dying at the end of the driveway.

If you want to tune it, go for it, just stay under 100hp and you'll be fine if you look after it like the previous owner did.

Cheers!
                          Last edited by Kapt. Q; 03-09-15, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I'm leaving it a standard for now and await the inevitable engine rebuild before changing too much. I did have to change the alternator due to lack of use, which was just possible without removing the engine. Although it's totally pointless I'd like to get the car to oversteer as it has chronic understeer and probably not enough power for the former. Will 100hp solve this or does the traction control prevent it. Thanks Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X