Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star does not 'see' instrument panel, other computers it does see, ECU, SAM, etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star does not 'see' instrument panel, other computers it does see, ECU, SAM, etc.

Greetings All, connected a clone Star to my 2004 fortwo, a few times now but me thinks maybe I should find the problem? During the test of all items, the instrument cluster/panel does not show with either a F, f, or tick. The reason I've not bothered to much in the past is, all the speedo indications appear to work. So, why is it not 'seen', as an item to test and pass or fail by the Star?? I've just tried another speedo head to see if the Star 'see's' it but no change, other than the odometer showing '-----', so it's talking to something... Is there a wiring diagram available to show where the wires go from/to the speedo head? Do all the wires from the speedo head 'main' connector go to the SAM? If so, is it the same sort of single connector on the SAM or do they split up between SAM connectors? I ask, so that I may be able to check continuity between the speedo head and where ever the wires go. Or, is it likely to be another one of those SAM faults???
    Cheers, Ian.

Are you using a genuine STAR or a Chinese clone?

Comment

Greetings 137699, I do like your sense of humour? What's the 4th word, after 'greetings'? And, before you ask, this clone has worked without trouble on my other Smart. Cheers, Ian.

Comment

You may have problems with the CAN-bus between the SAM and the cluster.
        The connections are as follows:
        CanH From cluster pin14 to SAM 8-40 (pink/white)
        CanL From cluster pin 17 to SAM 8-39 (pink/green)
        Bjorn

Comment

Originally posted by Mad smart person View Post
          Greetings 137699, I do like your sense of humour? What's the 4th word, after 'greetings'? And, before you ask, this clone has worked without trouble on my other Smart. Cheers, Ian.
          That'll teach me to skim read the first post!
          The reason I ask is that clone STAR machines throw loads of errors when plugged into my Roadster - the same clones work fine on other Roadsters & indeed our 450 and past 450s.
          My roadster steadfastly refuses to communicate properly with anything other than a GENUINE star.

How &/or why I have no idea but it goes to show - some cars can be sniffy about what they allow to connect.

Comment

Apart from a smart dealer and Wellsmart who apparently rent an official star machine from Merc, every star machine owned by indies and home users is a clone.

Unlike every other car, the smart has diagnostic pins on the OBD for each of the controllers as well as a generic K-line. That's why cheap handheld code readers can only read the ECU. The data from the speedo is collected from the CAN bus wire pair that networks all of the control boxes in the car, so the speedo doesn't have its own OBD connection like the other control boxes. If there was a problem with the CAN bus wires to the speedo, you'd see a single line on the LCD and the car probably wouldn't start.

I suspect the problem you have is either an internal fault in the multiplexer or a software fault.
            Where are you? Anyone you know with a different Star to test?

Comment

Greetings All, thanks, this gives me a bit to work on. As to the last two questions above. 13,000 miles away, in NZ. ( we're sorry about the English loss, trust me you guys had our support. If it makes you fell any better, my thoughts for the final is, NZ V's Wales. The Aussies aren't going to last much longer.) Next is, I've recently had the car into the local Merc garage to have a second key recoded, that worked but I also asked them to have the Odo display changed to Km, not Miles. This didn't work, so I'm thinking the Speedo wasn't talking to their Star either. Mind you, they didn't mention the fact but they may have thought it had happened???? In the next week or so, I'll pull the SAM out and have a look to see if there's any evidence of the dreaded green stuff on any of the pins / sockets. As far as I can see, all the functions of the Speedo, work, including the Odo display. Except, when I plugged in a spare Speedo head, the Odo display went to dashes, after the engine was started - so that part of things works - the Speedo talks to someone, but which someone??? And, which someone is it not talking to??? Will keep you all posted. But if there's any other ideas, don't hold back please. Currently at least, it's mobile. Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Greetings Bjorn, thank you the pin idents, will continuity check those and will let you know. Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Check your MB Star system in Ceaser , with this program its checking the system.
                  Also check the big connector, there are 16 wires in it.
                  Maybe one wire is loose.( i had 3 wires loose , so no connection to the SAM)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X