Preventive maintenance, leaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventive maintenance, leaks

I want to see f I can prevent future issues by doing some preventive work on my Smart Pulse, first thing is to ask where the leak comes from that affects the SAM unit? It seems to make sense to try to prevent this happening. So any pointers appreciated.

I've had leaky windscreens before on two of the 450's I've had and I know 450 owning folks who have had leaks around the door mirrors before. The Roadster (452) is plagued with wet SAM units but having said that, I've have heard of a wet SAM on a 450 before. Given where it is in the car, I'd check those two areas first.

Comment

Windscreen - So what preventive work can you do on that? Not break it? Seriously, the leak is due to the bonding failing, so other than getting the windscreen taken out and new bonding put in every few years (Who's going to guarantee not to break it when taking it out?). There is nothing you can really do as just adding extra sealant around the edge, although it might make it waterproof, won't provide the structural strength that proper bonding of the windscreen to the Tridion does.

John

Comment

If it is due to windscreen then I am sure I can find a solution, "can't" is not in my vocabulary, windscreens are not structural so adding sealant is not out of the question, it is just a question of the best way to do it. I will also look at the door mirror fittings and of course the door seals. At the moment it is all dry but it is good to be informed. I wonder about fitting additional waterproofing directly to the SAM as well.

Comment

You obviously haven't kept up with car manufacturing techniques then. The windscreen is part of the structural rigidity of a Smart 450 along with the roof - even the glass roof. Lots of current cars have the same method of providing additional rigidity to their cars
          450 SAM's don't generally suffer from direct water contamination, most is due to condensation due to water being stuck in the car under the carpets from other leaks. Just do a search on here for leaks and start reading.

John

Comment

Rejuvinate all door and (opening) window seals with something silicone based - eg, aerosol from Halfords.Check rear quarterlights for leaks (snail trails on Tridion) and remove and reseal if leaking. Frequently check carpet for damp - front and rear corners appropriate to the above and lift corners to check foam backing. Don't leave wet things (eg clothes) in the car. Leave the front screen alone. If it does leak (and you'll only know it does if all other leak sources are attended to) deal with it then. And yes, sealant bonded only - not with anything stiff enough to take load.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
              Rejuvinate all door and (opening) window seals with something silicone based - eg, aerosol from Halfords.Check rear quarterlights for leaks (snail trails on Tridion) and remove and reseal if leaking. Frequently check carpet for damp - front and rear corners appropriate to the above and lift corners to check foam backing. Don't leave wet things (eg clothes) in the car. Leave the front screen alone. If it does leak (and you'll only know it does if all other leak sources are attended to) deal with it then. And yes, sealant bonded only - not with anything stiff enough to take load.
              This is all good advice, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckster View Post

This is all good advice, thank you.

You're welcome - and welcome aboard.
                Saw your intro post. Add a smattering of gynaecological dexterity to your skill set and you're sorted for fortwo maintenance and repairs!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post

You're welcome - and welcome aboard.
                  Saw your intro post. Add a smattering of gynaecological dexterity to your skill set and you're sorted for fortwo maintenance and repairs!

I have opposable thumbs, otherwise it will be down to taking things apart, my days of being upside down in the seat with my head under the dash are behind me.

Comment

Originally posted by heinkeljb View Post
                    You obviously haven't kept up with car manufacturing techniques then. The windscreen is part of the structural rigidity of a Smart 450 along with the roof - even the glass roof. Lots of current cars have the same method of providing additional rigidity to their cars
                    450 SAM's don't generally suffer from direct water contamination, most is due to condensation due to water being stuck in the car under the carpets from other leaks. Just do a search on here for leaks and start reading.

John

There is a difference between rigidity and integrity, the windscreen provides additional rigidity primarily to the roof line in the event of turning over, however it is not part of the structural integrity of the car as it moves in its frame, we know it moves because it leaks. The glass roof is part of the integrity of the structure of the vehicle hence it is bonded in in a more permanent way. Therefore adding sealant to the windscreen is entirely plausible as all you are doing is adding to a flexible bond.

Comment

Just to point out, you have a 0.6 according to your introductory post, in which case your car doesn't actually have a SAM. It has a ZEE unit instead - does the same job but better to get the terminology right as otherwise you'll get misleading answers in the future.

The SAM unit was introduced when they went from 0.6 to 0.7 engines mid 2003.

Comment

I only have one leak and it is from the trim panel that is missing from around the equally missing radio antenna. So new aerial some gorilla tape and a replacement trim panel. All in I seem to have a good one.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X