2001 Smart 450 dead???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Smart 450 dead???

Hello all. I have a 2001 smart fortwo passion 450 on an island without a dealer.. When I put it in the garage last spring the abs light and brake light were on. It was still driving fine. Last week I went to pull it out of the garage, It starts in "N" Once running the check engine, abs, brake, and exclamation light are on. When moving shift lever to either the reverse position or forward a "0" is displayed and the car will not engage in any gear. The code read was P0600 serial communication fault powertrain. Once again, there is not a dealer available on the island or anyone with a computer to read the car. The car is like new, I'd rather buy a computer that can read the car rather than throw the car in the trash. Ideas?

It's been in the garage for ~a year ?

What state is the battery in ? …. voltage when stopped and running please …..

If you've slowly brought it up from virtually dead by charging I suggest firstly you disconnect, count to 5 then reconnect cleanly… then see what symptoms you still have or don't.

Are you actually pressing the brake pedal when trying to select F or R ?
    (if you are you might want to replace the brake pedal switch firstly too)

Comment

He has error when communicating on CAN - a line appears in place of gear speed
      http://fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/for...264-single-bar
      The steering wheel angle encoder is defective.
      MB Star or Winstar know properly diagnose Smart.
      What device gave P0600?

Comment

I am surprised alternator is not seized. Suggest you confirm that first as otherwise engine will overheat.
        Place battery on charge and confirm battery is being charged by alternator when engine is running.
        Confirm brake light switch is working by observing brake lights when depressing brake pedal.

A 2001 Smart 450 does not have steering angle sensor. Only applies to Smarts with 700 cc engine.
        Last edited by tolsen; 17-01-17, 06:12 AM.

Comment

I'm going to suggest investigating the brake light switch as a starting point - and as mentioned earlier - you are pressing the brake pedal when trying to engage drive?

Comment

It could be next spring before OP gets back to us …...

Comment

Maybe he assumes there have been no replies if he has had no notifications. I do not get any so I guess he won't either.

He also has a thread on clubsmartcar.

Comment

So. I never got updates that anyone responded to this question. I used a code reader and unplugged each module in the car looking for a code. Every module would throw a new code except the ABS pump. I replaced the pump with a used one and all is well.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X