2002 smart 599cc pulse petrol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 smart 599cc pulse petrol

Hi guys i have recently replaced all of the brake friction pads front and rear ,i had discovered last owner (monkey) had replaced the auto adjusters the wrong way round on the rears so rectified them after seeing an american you tube video on how they work .
    The front pads and disks were replaced too ,the only problem which i inherited the car with is brake binding brakes get hot and lock up front wheels until they cool down then it can move again .It seems to be the fronts i had no trouble resetting the caliper pistons when replacing the pads ,i have inspected the control rods and linkages to the pedal and master cylinder the only thing i found was the black weather proof box lid covering the linkage had fallen off and was wrapped over the servo with black jack adhesive all over it ! another monkey short cut i think so drilled and screwed it as clips had long gone.
    have the smarts got inherent weak calipers or perhaps dodgy flexible brake pipes which stop back flow to the master cylinder ? just about to purchase some replacement calipers and hoses unless there is a simple explanations for this any tips i would appreciate .

Someone will have replaced the brake switch previously - hence the sealant.
    Re front brakes. I'll bet the inner lining of the flexibles have collapsed (gripping them to retain fluid is a very bad idea but routinely done) trapping the fluid as you suspect. Calipers should be fine - they're no more prone to the usual corrosion related problems than any others out there.
    BTW, Tolsen posted recently about the auto adjusters being fitted the wrong way round - at the factory.....

Comment

Ahh thank you Thrumblux i was thinking hoses as have had this with the mini's yesteryear ,i am intrigued and by the report about adjusters being fitted the wrong way i will have a read if i can find it ,the nearside was correct but the off side was wrong (little lever tab positioned incorrectly not raising spring to turn adjusting wheel) being the car is 15 years old it wouldn't surprise me if it was a have a go mechanic tbh .
      i need to source some plastic fixings for the underbelly cladding , a gear knob (genuine) an inner rear off side window rubber seal and a engine cover fastener as these seem all to be nadgered too any pointers where i can get these as aftermarket rather than main stealers ?
      yes brake switch found brake lights wouldn't stay off and kept sticking on found the replacement switch was of poor quality and didn't give correct travel slightly modified the holding bracket now operates correctly.
      Last edited by smartwidower; 18-07-17, 03:49 PM.

Comment

i need to source some plastic fixings for the underbelly cladding , a gear knob (genuine) an inner rear off side window rubber seal and a engine cover fastener as these seem all to be nadgered too any pointers where i can get these as aftermarket rather than main stealers
        TBH, the dealers can surprise you with how cheap they can be when it comes to things like this, give them a call to find out (though the rubber seal may come as a set). With that said, a engine cover fastener is easily found: http://www.smartmods.co.uk/index.php...details&id=138

Comment

Tolsen's words here >> http://www.smartz.co.uk/showthread.p...Brake-Shoe-Set
          Collapsed brake flexibles - shoot the SOBs who clamp hoses. Brake switch is a double contact item controlling brake lights and transmission selection functions. There is an installation procedure/setting for it - but you've figured that out!
          As per Ocracoke, dealer prices can be reasonable (not so labour) so worth trying them first. If you need to seal the rear 3/4 lights, mastic is the way to go. Work hard at keeping the interior dry - it will hurt you if you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by smartwidower View Post
            Hi guys i have recently replaced all of the brake friction pads front and rear ,i had discovered last owner (monkey) had replaced the auto adjusters the wrong way round on the rears so rectified them after seeing an american you tube video on how they work .
            The drum brake adjusters are marked L and R or G and D for left and right (gauche and droite). Left and right as marked on the adjusters does not refer to which side on the car they are to go but whether their threads are left handed or right handed.

Comment

There is no part number for the rear side window seal, you need to buy a suitable close cell foam to use as a replacement. As an aside the white sliding clip that the top of the window locates in is prone to becoming brittle so I would get spares before you start removing stuff.

Comment

Water enters in way of a joint in the steel at top of window. I simply clean up and seal with a bead of polyurethane building sealant.

Comment

Thank you all for your answers , i have replaced my front brake hoses and the braking fault is still there i have now gone and purchased a replacement master cylinder which i will fit tomorrow given the time as today we took it out and got froze to the tarmac by all the brakes being stuck on (first time for everything!) usually it will move and can cool down on side of road safely , i jumped out and gut my trusty 8mm spanner out released the bleed nipple on a front caliper and all the brakes relaxed allowing me to return the 200 yards back home. with this in mind i am happy the fault must lie in the master cylinder not allowing back flow of the hydraulic fluid into the reservoir so this will be next in the restoration.
                  Tolsen your words of wisdom have been read and over read thank you very much indeed for sharing your experience.
                  Cheers for the dealership advise on prices too.

Shawn

Comment

Brake light switch has adjustable actuator rod. Assuming rod is fully extended when new, all you need do to adjust its length after fitting is pulling hard back on brake pedal.

Comment

Another forum member had problems with brakes stuck on. Turned out to be seized pivot in brake pedal lever. Anticipating this may one time happen to mine, I have drilled a small diameter hole in pivot to allow injection of grease using an Oregon chain saw bar grease gun.

Comment

All sorted now works a dream managed to take a twenty five mile test drive and now works as it should no stuck hydraulics any more by fitting a servo and brake master cylinder with header tank for 39 quid used.
                        now got to adjust up rears to remove some of the pedal travel and all will be fine ,now on to some more minor repairs like the rear side window and finding some fixings for the under belly .

Comment

Good to learn it is sorted but we need a conclusion as to what was the problem. There are far too many open ended threads on these forums.

Comment

HI Tolsen i will update when i have had a chance to dismantle the master cylinder but i suspect a rogue rubber seal but that's just supposition at the moment .
                            i consider my wrist slapped !.
                            thanks again for your valuable input .
                            Last edited by smartwidower; 10-08-17, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckster View Post
                              There is no part number for the rear side window seal, you need to buy a suitable close cell foam to use as a replacement. As an aside the white sliding clip that the top of the window locates in is prone to becoming brittle so I would get spares before you start removing stuff.

Buckster i was referring to the decorative cover strip which conceals the jointing compound ,any ideas what this part number is please ?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X