X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECU Problem?

Hi.

Hope I am posting in the right section?

I have been offered a '04 plate City Cabrio. However, I have been told that it stops pulling on overtaking at around 50 MPH. The current owner had it diagnosed and was told that it needs to go to Mercedes as the 'computer is no longer talking to the engine'.

I have done a bit off googling and it seems there can be issues with water ingress into the ECU.

I know nothing about Smart cars and was wondering if it would be viable to buy and fix myself, or have it fixed?

Originally posted by pharland View Post
    Hi.

'computer is no longer talking to the engine'.
    I doubt the engine would even run if that were the case.
    More likely is a lack of turbo boost impairing performance. Which could be something as simple as a corroded £2 E-clip, failed cycle valve, leaking intercooler,etc, or some anomaly in the ESP system caused by corroded ABS reluctor rings. You pay your money and takes your chances...

Comment

Sounds like the wastegate, the bottom line is how much has it been offered to you for? The "diagnosis" is also known as "don't have a clue, better make something up to save face".

Comment

Ha. Thanks gents. I have just got back from picking it up and hard as I tried, I haven't been able to replicate that problem.

"I doubt the engine would even run if that were the case." My initial thoughts as well.

Now that I have it here with the paperwork, what they say is "Water ingress to passenger side footwell and damage to fuse box (corrosion) requires further investigation in to loss of power fault by main dealer and water leak to be rectified" £25 please!!

My thoughts now are that I need to remove panels above the fusebox and see if I can find where water may be getting in. Possibly something shorting with rain getting in?

It has other faults as well, mostly minor. Key one is that the roof isn't releasing on the offside. From a very quick play it seems that the motors are behind plastic 'boxes' high up at the back? Need to contort myself and have a proper look.

Will be spending some time here searching for answers. Are there any manuals available on here at all.

Oh. Paid £150 for it, so felt it was worth the risk

Comment

Evilution and FQ101 sites have 'how-to' guides and lots more info besides.

Read up on SAM - your 'fusebox'.

Comment

Probably a leaking windscreen.

Comment

Or door seals needing some silicone to revitalise them. (Look for 'snail trails' on the inner sills).

Comment

Many thanks for all the pointers. Will have a read later and another play with the car tomorrow

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X