Hmmmn oily puddle !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmn oily puddle !

Another question that i think i have already answered my self but after some advice , under the car on the right looking at the back i have a prominent oil leak ,having looked it seems to me that it is coming from a drive shaft seal as it seems to have been dissipated / sprayed by motion of the shaft .i intend to jet wash and gunk it all to see where fresh oil is coming from as it is a bit of a mess under there but has the wee engine got any stock leakage faults in this area like filter canister or filter housings etc ?.
    Thanks in advance
    Shawn

Sumps and sump gaskets can leak. If it's from the gearbox, the oil should be red in colour - ATF.

Comment

Oil filler cap, oil drips down and gets thrown around by turbulence and the drive shaft.

Comment

It could also becoming from a holed charge cooler (air to air heat exchanger) as that is above the drive shaft, so it gets sprayed everywhere as well.

John

Comment

Gearbox/driveshaft seal leak is quite a common one, as has already been said the oil will be red as it's ATF.
          I replaced mine back in 2013 with these https://www.bearing-king.co.uk/beari...-x-10-r23/9209
          Quite a simple job to do. https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.ph...mod=245​
          Good luck

Comment

Transmission oil level is far below seal so there won't be much leakage from drive shaft seal even if seal is removed.

Comment

right sorted now ,i purchased a replacement sump with drain plug and rubber gasket . oil leak no longer ,there seems to be a slight weepage on the near side drive shaft area but it is so slight i can not see what color the oil is so i may when time allows change that drive shaft oil seal too.
              there are some yellow inserts which are of square shape which go into the floor to take the screws for the under shield they are just behind the front wheels , does any one know where i can get these from ? i have been lucky so far in finding the special retainers which go up inside the sills for the rear under shield but still goosed on finding these small ones ....
              Tolsen thank you for that info regarding the oil level ,that is reassuring to know when drive shaft is removed (unlike classic minis which eject the entire contents of the engine when removed!) .
              Last edited by smartwidower; 29-08-17, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Have a look on ebay for item number 121639176606 I think these might be what you're after.

Comment

with the cronic issue of weak rings. i would make absolutely sure its not the root of the trouble. oil is classic ring issues

Comment

bob-in-dav thanks for that link i have now got some ,leak fixed new sump and gasket smart gt .

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X