How to fix this mouldy smell?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix this mouldy smell?

I have just bought a second hand smart fortwo 450 cabrio. I am not sure how the previous owner treated this car, all i know that i can smell the mouldy smell from the carpet. I have fixed the source of the leak, but the mouldy smell is still in there. I have tried spraying vinegar, disinfectant or nilodor, which only appear to be temporary solution. In a few weeks, the smell comes back. I do not know what to do. I am too afraid to do the wet vacuum in the carpet, because of the cabling under the carpet. I am too afraid to remove the carpet because i have no idea to put the brake paddle together. What should i do??? Thank you for the wisdom

Neutradol.

Comment

Buy some Bicarbonate of Soda (used for cooking) and sprinkle (lots) all over the top of the carpet and work in with a brush - give it a day or so and then vacuum the carpets.

John

Comment

Foam under carpet needs drying out which will take a very long time with carpet in position. Lift carpet with suitable pieces of wood. Then place a heater and a dehumidifier inside cab. Best removing seats and their pedestals so you can lift carpet at least four inches. Arrange to blow warm air under carpet. Expect at least 72 hours before foam is reasonably dry.

Comment

Originally posted by heinkeljb View Post
          Buy some Bicarbonate of Soda (used for cooking) and sprinkle (lots) all over the top of the carpet and work in with a brush - give it a day or so and then vacuum the carpets.

John
          Hi John, will this work as permanent solution? If it is, this will be the thing that i try first. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
            Foam under carpet needs drying out which will take a very long time with carpet in position. Lift carpet with suitable pieces of wood. Then place a heater and a dehumidifier inside cab. Best removing seats and their pedestals so you can lift carpet at least four inches. Arrange to blow warm air under carpet. Expect at least 72 hours before foam is reasonably dry.
            It will be hard for the person like me. But, i will try it if none of other solution works it is less risky than wet vacuum i suppose?

Comment

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
              Neutradol.
              The carpet deodorizer?

Comment

Once the carpets are dry, not just on top, but the foam underneath, the bicarbonate of soda will remove the odour just like it does in a fridge, or your shoes! You are never going to get rid of the odour if the bacteria and the mould are still alive making more! They need damp conditions to live, so will die if you dry out the carpets.

John

Comment

Once the carpets are dry, not just on top, but the foam underneath, the bicarbonate of soda will remove the odour just like it does in a fridge, or your shoes! You are never going to get rid of the odour if the bacteria and the mould are still alive making more! They need damp conditions to live, so will die if you dry out the carpets.

John
                  Should i put bicarb soda underneath the carpet as well? Or putting it at the top is enough as long as i put lots of them?

Comment

Where do you live ?
                    If you tell us we can help you to find a good smart garage that will remove the carpets for you
                    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
                    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno. Key coding
                    TAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

Comment

You need to be able to vacuum up the old Bicarbonate of Soda after a while or it will get damp and just stick to everything and provide a place for more bacteria and mould to grow on. So I would not put it under the carpets except where you can reach it with a vacuum cleaner and if it gets wet, it will just turn into a paste which will stick to everything. Get some air under the carpets - even what ever variation you can manage of what Tolsen put in his post at the start of this thread

John

Comment

You need to be able to vacuum up the old Bicarbonate of Soda after a while or it will get damp and just stick to everything and provide a place for more bacteria and mould to grow on. So I would not put it under the carpets except where you can reach it with a vacuum cleaner and if it gets wet, it will just turn into a paste which will stick to everything. Get some air under the carpets - even what ever variation you can manage of what Tolsen put in his post at the start of this thread

John
                        Thank you

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X