Gearbox fault

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox fault

While I was out today the car started playing up at junctions, when I was stopped for a while it would not engage gear, it would just rev, a restart cleared it do it drove again but it did it three times and the EML came on, OBD check revealed "Transmission Control System Electrical " however the gear indicator continued to show "1".

I have cleared the code but have not driven it since, any suggestions on what I should check first? Actuator wiring seems like the first call but I thought it would show three lines on the display.

Car is 450 600cc.

Wiring problem or perhaps your fast tyres?

Comment

you will need a welder to make a tough shifter mod. i used zinc grease in it, i will reweld it with silicone synthetic grease when i speed up the changer

Comment

Was it wet when the fault occurred?

Comment

No, it was dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckster View Post
            it would not engage gear, .
            Nor would mine when the clutch actuator fell off - lots of clanging noises as it tried though.

Could your clutch actuator be a touch sticky in operation?

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post

Nor would mine when the clutch actuator fell off - lots of clanging noises as it tried though.

Could your clutch actuator be a touch sticky in operation?
              That is a possibility. I will be having a look at it tomorrow.

Comment

Checked all the wiring and that is fine the car now does not engage gears easily, it seems to go into gear but the clutch does not engage unless I rev it a couple of times and then it starts with a jerk, if I keep it going it will then drive and change gear but if I stop it disengages and needs to be revved twice to get going again. There was no clutch slipping before this and I have seen the three lines once. To start the car initially I have to put the car in reverse then back to neutral then it will start. Given the spontaneous nature I suspect the clutch itself is fine and that the actuator is sticking, probably gunged up, either that or the gear selector is sticking. Does anyone agree/disagree?

Comment

That problem is either wiring to clutch actuator or stiff clutch actuator. Try an actuator known to be good if you want a quick diagnosis.

Comment

The wiring is fine so I will have to try lubricating the actuator, is it best to remove it, clean it out with brake cleaner and lube with white lithium spray or just lube it in situ?

Comment

• Thrumbleux
                      Thrumbleux commented
                      Editing a comment
                      In situ - bolts are easily broken if they've been exposed to salt.

Suspect your problem is mechanical. Sticky actuator or clutch unit. Actuator will be easier and cheaper to fix. Cross fingers etc....

Okay, I will just pull the boot and spray the lithium in there, hopefully that will solve everything, thanks for the advice.

Comment

• Thrumbleux
                      Thrumbleux commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Some solvent or penetrating oil first to slacken off any congealed grease.

I have some carb cleaner, that should do the trick. Actually clutch cleaner will be better as I think there are plastic parts in there.
                    Last edited by Buckster; 05-10-17, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I would remove clutch actuator and clean in out using the thinnest of penetration oil taking great care not to contaminate its motor brush gear. Get a garage to heat the three bolts if it turns out they are seized. Clean threads with an M6x1 tap and apply grease when refitting.

Grease internals with lithium grease spray available for a Pound from the nearest Poundshop.
                      Clutch actuator housing is very much prone to total disintegration especially of its lugs so for that reason I coat the whole housing in protective paint.

Using a file, clean up the groove on both housing and rod where rubber grommet seals and apply silicone grease.

Apply thick grease to socket in fork and to tip of actuator rod. This to prolong its service life before the inevitable punch through.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post

Apply thick grease to socket in fork and to tip of actuator rod. This to prolong its service life before the inevitable punch through.
                        And, in light of your previous observation, avoid selecting neutral while the car is still in motion.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post

And, in light of your previous observation, avoid selecting neutral while the car is still in motion.
                          There is no problem selecting neutral whilst in motion.

Comment

• Thrumbleux
                            Thrumbleux commented
                            Editing a comment
                            But for the prolonged load on the clutch fork....

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X