Oil heater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mottofreee View Post
    In the summer, diesel has to be cooled ... with a small radiator.
    That is the return (to tank) line and is because of the trauma the fuel has experienced in the fuel pump.

The Smart CDI has a fuel temperature sensor and I have no idea how it calculates correctly EDG injection times. It is most likely to result in an OM 660 with higher wheel power.
    Common rail diesels have there injection events fixed (multiple injections per combustion cycle) and vary the fuel pressure in the rail as torque control.

In the 1950s, the Soviets made a D35 bulldozer that started with the 'Drujba' engine (the so-called chain saws made in the USSR , all range); 2T engine start rope.
    Using a small water cooled donkey engines was once commonplace. The donkey engines coolant was circulated around the main engine to pre-heat it.

Comment

Fuel temperature sensor sits on top of fuel sender unit presumably measuring temperature in fuel return line. Sensor is exactly same as coolant temperature sensor.

Comment

Fuel filter heater.

2 x 10 Watt elements wrapped around diesel fuel filter.
        Held on with neoprene knee bandage or sock.
        Filter support cradle need be modified or perhaps one can use a bicycle bottle carrier.
        Powered when ignition is on. 5A in-line fuse and 0 degrees C normally closed thermostat switch. Switch will sit inside car behind seat under carpet hard up against floor pan. Should in theory switch off heater when floor pan temperature rises above 0 degrees C.

Comment

The return is from the injector.
          The injector is in tight contact with the cylinder, so it's got the near temperature.
          The high-pressure pump has a contribution.
          The computer measures the temperature of the antifreeze (B11 / 4), the fuel (B50), the intake air (B17). These variables overlap them with a table and calculate the injection time; other variables are taken into consideration.
          The EDG does not consider ambient temperature because the car works the same with or without an ambient temperature sensor.
          Thermal fuse to 0C are made only to order but you can use a refrigerator thermostat. (like http://www.materiale-piesefrigorific...de-celsius-142 )
          Last edited by mottofreee; 22-12-17, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Fuel is main problem up here. I have had fuel filter clogging on me four times when weather had turned really cold. Starting is no problem as I have Primus and usually access to AC power. Problem is fuel filter gets clogged a few minutes after I have set off so I am left stranded. That is reason for fitting fuel filter heater. 0 C thermostat switch is less than £2 from China including postage. Not really needed. May as well operate heater on a manual switch.

Comment

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-KSD301-...h/282134348247

Thermostat switch

Comment

Unfortunately, class H resin is not good for glass fiber - it does not wet the fiber, it's too viscous.
                He failed in the practical test.

Comment

Better applying thick layer of underbody bodyschutz bitumen. Whales are insulated by their thick fat layer. Same for engine and humans.

Comment

I want a thicker insulation to increase temperatures with the same amount of energy.
                    A thicker insulation is heavier and requires reinforcement that you can catch screws.

Comment

• To supply the heating resistance for 5 min I need 50F capacity.
                      Basically I'll use a capacitor with the capacity 83F / 16V (6x500F / 2.7V).
                      Unfortunately, I only get in February 2018, now I look elsewhere in hopes of a faster delivery.
                      The capacitor is charged at the peak voltage, but the battery pack smooths the voltage so there will be virtually no voltage peaks.

Comment

• Stored energy in a 50 Farad capacitor charged to 12 Volt is only 3600 Joule. That is enough to raise oil temperature about one degree C provided there are no losses.

Comment

• Indeed my calculation does not correspond to the heating resistance of the oil.
                          The amount of energy required is 90,000 J for a resistance of 300W at 12V for 300s.

This stored energy (3600J) can be used to preheat the diesel fuel filter.

Large engines have automatic pre-lubrication system. That is, before the launch (starting the main thermal engine), the oil pump is activated (about 2 minutes in advance). The starter rotates the engine on the oil film. These types of engine do not require RK (total repair) before 1,000,000 km.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X